Is there any wonder some of our young don’t want to work.

Most Britsh children leaving school in the past left without any qualifications whatsoever yet we still produced some of the most skilled craftsmen/engineers in the world most of them turning out world class products in antiquated factorys on antiquated machinery.

Austin Allegro. World class?

Yep, I did an apprenticeship too. Three years of low pay and hard graft leading to a job that barely paid enough to live on. Find a youngster who wants that these days. And find a company that can afford and knows it will have jobs for all those going through a rolling apprenticeship programme. It doesn't happen. Employers need ready trained people coming out of education, not the barely literate anti-social teens Sheffield's education routinely turns out. When I left school I wanted to work but that work ethic is long gone.

There are still plenty of shortages in IT, engineering, sciences and geology.

No shortage of lawyers, accountants, estate agents, bankers, politicians, trade unionists and other assorted parasites though.

I'm surprised you picked those out Jim, I mean your beloved Tories parasites never, I was wondering what your profession was.

Then I realised that you had just stepped off your cloud, & turned left @ the gates, you're god come on admit it. Well if you're not him, you're xenia, you're alter ego.

I'm surprised you picked those out Jim, I mean your beloved Tories parasites never, I was wondering what your profession was.

Then I realised that you had just stepped off your cloud, & turned left @ the gates, you're god come on admit it. Well if you're not him, you're xenia, you're alter ego.

That's God with a capital G please. Show some respect.

Just a reminder I don't love Tories, I just despise confused lefties.

That's God with a capital G please. Show some respect.

Just a reminder I don't love Tories, I just despise confused lefties.

But you back everything they want to do and try to test the water with, or perhaps you are saying the tories aren't rightwing enough for you?

There are still plenty of shortages in IT, engineering, sciences and geology.

No shortage of lawyers, accountants, estate agents, bankers, politicians, trade unionists and other assorted parasites though.

You'd prefer to have to do your own accounts and interpret the law yourself?

From the £4,083,000,000 saved making prisoners and false asylum seekers/bogus refugees/illegal immigrants work.

That won't pay for very much of a capital engineering project that he's talking about. Maybe just the feasibility study into it or something.

Rather than giving my usual reply.

What do you need delivering by bicycle courier, how much will you pay? What is the distance to be covered?

I don't need anything delivering, I never said I was going to be a customer.

But it's nice that you're actually considering working for a living.

Maybe you should talk to these guys

http://vertigocyclecouriers.wordpress.com/

Last year, we planned to launch a pedicab service here in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

But, we encountered problems with funding, and in addition, Sheffield City Council said they would actively seek to prevent us from operating in the absence of national legislation. Their refusal to grant, or even discuss, a designated license for rickshaws has forced us to take a different approach.

As a Ltd Company Cooperative, we are in the process of fighting this decision, whilst seeking a specific, legislated license to operate cycle rickshaws in the city.

In the mean time, we are planning on setting up a 2 wheel cycle messenger service, and are looking for like-minded folk willing to help make this a reality.

So, we´re looking for like minded people, with a passion for bikes, willing to discuss possible involvement and membership to our cooperative.

You will need to have worked in the industry, be willing to be a part of a new team, have at least 3 months messenger experience, and worked in London, New York, Vancouver or similar messenger friendly city. Most importantly, you are willing to work hard and take a risk. Sheffield is built upon seven hills, so not ideal for fixies.

Get in touch if you´re keen to know more. njo

Right up your street, being a co-operative.

I don't need anything delivering, I never said I was going to be a customer.
doesn't sound like a good business then...

But it's nice that you're actually considering working for a living.
Don't worry, I do. However I also spend some of my time unemployed.

Maybe you should talk to these guys

http://vertigocyclecouriers.wordpress.com/

Right up your street, being a co-operative.

Doesn't sound very good to be honest.

They encountered problems with funding. They either required state subsidy to work, or could not attract investment. And the council denied them permission and refused to grant, or even discuss a license for rickshaws.

They want to start a messenger service, but quite frankly, who is going to use it. When we have email and large 3PL with distribution warehouses, and economy of scale via the land.

Bringing us back to your previous post...

No you don't, nobody is denied the right to take a push bike on the road. You could be a walking or skateboarding courier as well if you wish without permission.

Ahem.

Storage? Pick it up from client, drop it off at clientYou have somewhere to live, right?

Very inefficient. Your going to have to charge a lot operating like that.

So you have somewhere to store a bike. But if you really want, chain it to a lamp post.
Very professional eh. Wake up one morning and find your bike gone, (People actually steal metal posts now for the scrap value - I recall an entire bridge along the canal being stolen in Sheffield).

No you wouldn't, meet on public land or on land that the client uses.
Extra costs involved - time opporunity and land costs.

Doesn't matter who owns it, so long as you're getting business.
It does, it affects profits and thus the feasibility of said business.

You would? Why do they deliver parcels?
No they don't, however they do issue vouchers for food parcels, and send mail via the post (RM).

You know what I meant.

If you can't turn enough profit in a business to break free of benefits, the business is not viable. (This would not be the case, were it not for 100% MDRs wrt benefits)

I suspect that your services won't be that revolutionary, but hey, why not work in a location separate from where you live, thereby not increasing your cost of living.

Considering such a service would not be viable in a built up city like Sheffield, then it would most likely be even less viable in the middle of nowhere - where there aren't any customers in the first place!

doesn't sound like a good business then...

That's your market research is it, ask one person on a forum and if they don't need packages delivering then the business is no good. :roll:

Don't worry, I do. However I also spend some of my time unemployed.

You should do this and spend all your time self employed.

Doesn't sound very good to be honest.

They encountered problems with funding. They either required state subsidy to work, or could not attract investment. And the council denied them permission and refused to grant, or even discuss a license for rickshaws.

Where does it say that they need a subsidy?

They want to start a messenger service, but quite frankly, who is going to use it. When we have email and large 3PL with distribution warehouses, and economy of scale via the land.

I think you're entirely missing the point, bicycle couriers do immediate time sensitive deliveries in the local area, they don't compete with the national firms in bulk delivery in three days time.

Bringing us back to your previous post...

Ahem.

Very inefficient. Your going to have to charge a lot operating like that.

No, that's the way it works. Clearly you're not really interested as you've not even bothered to find out what couriering actually is.

Very professional eh. Wake up one morning and find your bike gone, (People actually steal metal posts now for the scrap value - I recall an entire bridge along the canal being stolen in Sheffield).

The point is that it doesn't require any land to be hired, although storing the bike at home would probably be safer.

Extra costs involved - time opporunity and land costs.

No, that's how it would generally operate, you pick up from their office and drop off at someone elses.

It does, it affects profits and thus the feasibility of said business.

So long as it's still viable it's irrelevant.

No they don't, however they do issue vouchers for food parcels, and send mail via the post (RM).

You know what I meant.

If you can't turn enough profit in a business to break free of benefits, the business is not viable. (This would not be the case, were it not for 100% MDRs wrt benefits)

True, fortunately the benefits system is being reformed to reduce that to <100%.

Considering such a service would not be viable in a built up city like Sheffield,

It would only ever work in a built up city.

then it would most likely be even less viable in the middle of nowhere - where there aren't any customers in the first place!

That's definitely true. But you don't live in S1 do you? So work in S1 and it won't have the slightest affect on property prices where you live.

Archived