Digital switch over  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Digital switch over

• Better all round picture quality and choice of channels
    • Better than the old stuff
    • Not that much better
    • wish they had left things alone I was happy with it before
    • Waste of money and time

It's pants. Off completely in bad weather rather than a bit fuzzy when it was analogue.
I don't often get that, but yes the failure mode is a lot more dramatic than with analogue transmissions.

I remember watching a program on an old black and white set years ago with a really rubbish ariel, it looked like there was a snowstorm, but you could still see and hear what was going on.

With digital, because everything is transmitted in compressed packets of information, interference wipes out an entire packet because it can't be decompressed.

And if there's no redundant transmissions, which cost money so the broadcasters don't like to use them too much, you get several seconds of nothing.

If there's a lot of interference you can lose entire channels or even all the channels until it stops.

So, swings and roundabouts for me, when it works it's great, when it doesn't work my TV may as well be an expensive brick.

Fortunately it works most of the time for me but I can understand people getting frustrated if they have weak signals or a lot of interference.

The reason I chose "better than the old stuff" is because I think the digital switch over is a good idea I mean who doesn't like better picture quality and a wider range of things to watch.

Plus I am not one of these that say "there is never anything to watch" I don't really have a favourite thing to watch but I have found some very interesting things to watch on freeview.

However the one thing I do think is it should have been optional not forced upon us purely because for myself It worked out for me and I am really happy with it but some people don't like change and they should have the right to decline the new stuff if they should want to.

I don't often get that, but yes the failure mode is a lot more dramatic than with analogue transmissions.

I remember watching a program on an old black and white set years ago with a really rubbish ariel, it looked like there was a snowstorm, but you could still see and hear what was going on.

With digital, because everything is transmitted in compressed packets of information, interference wipes out an entire packet because it can't be decompressed.

And if there's no redundant transmissions, which cost money so the broadcasters don't like to use them too much, you get several seconds of nothing.

If there's a lot of interference you can lose entire channels or even all the channels until it stops.

So, swings and roundabouts for me, when it works it's great, when it doesn't work my TV may as well be an expensive brick.

Fortunately it works most of the time for me but I can understand people getting frustrated if they have weak signals or a lot of interference.

Finally someone who understands. I did just have a spine-chilling thought though, what if this means we are neighbours :o:o

Finally someone who understands. I did just have a spine-chilling thought though, what if this means we are neighbours :o:o
Then we'd be neighbours and we'd never know.

My reception is quite good though even in bad weather, thunderstorms tend to mess it up a bit.

Very rare I have one day without picture freezing or complete loss of picture I had a new aeriel fitted before switchover, the signal shows 90/100% strength never had a problem before switchover, it's a nightmare when you are watching Snooker or Tennis and the picture freezes and you miss the shot .

Archived