Awkward eye contact with other drivers

So i was discussing this with a friend today and we were wondering why you can walk down the street or round the supermarket and smile at strangers if you make eye contact, yet when you're in the car sat at the lights or whatever eye contact with the driver next to you feels soooooooo awkward. Is it just me or does anyone else agree and have any kind of theory on the subject?

Yes. It's a distinctly English trait. Anywhere else in the world they'll pull up next to you at lights and stare shamelessly at each other sometimes even with their mouths wide open.

I think Brits are a really shy race.

I once turned and looked at a driver at the lights next to me in Rotherham and him and his three male passengers took it badly, in fact he totally flipped and we ended up in a high speed chase round Wentworth. I couldnt stop because I would have got a kicking and because we were driving at high speed couldnt use the phone to organise an ambush for him so I literally had to out drive him. Scary at the time but looking back it was also funny :hihi:

I once turned and looked at a driver at the lights next to me in Rotherham and him and his three male passengers took it badly, in fact he totally flipped and we ended up in a high speed chase round Wentworth. I couldnt stop because I would have got a kicking and because we were driving at high speed couldnt use the phone to organise an ambush for him so I literally had to out drive him. Scary at the time but looking back it was also funny :hihi:

Another good reason NOT to go to rothrum. Or extend the tram to there. :hihi:

Not everybody does that funbags87. Rest assured, if I pulled up alongside your bags of fun, I would most certainly not make eye contact. Not even momentary eye contact after a few seconds in an attempt to convince you that I am not actually looking at and thinking about your bags of fun.

Eye contact is good! I always try to make eye contact with drivers at junctions. It's not a competition, but if you do make eye contact with the other guy, then the 'Macho' bit goes out of the window and - between the pair of you - you can probably drive in a civilised manner.

Eye contact - wherever possible!

So i was discussing this with a friend today and we were wondering why you can walk down the street or round the supermarket and smile at strangers if you make eye contact, yet when you're in the car sat at the lights or whatever eye contact with the driver next to you feels soooooooo awkward. Is it just me or does anyone else agree and have any kind of theory on the subject?

Women never my eye contact walking down the street the always stare resolutely into the distance or stare at their feet, Fact!

Archived