Now Reopened -Waggon & Horses, Millhouses.

verona

I don't think the pub has done well for years. I remember what I suspect was its heyday in the 1970's when the nearby Millhouses Lido was in full swing and a very popular spot on a sunny summer afternoon. After a long day lazing in the sun some of us would hit the Wagon & Horses for early evening drinks and a chance to see the contestants one more time, not in their swimsuits.

I've just spluttered tea all over the screen. A fantastic post!

• 7 months later...
New management will be in the Waggon and Horses going forward from next week, if all goes to Plan. Seems to me that several of the staff don't want to stay on and work for them though...

Didn't last long did it? Been passed today and it is closed, again!

It needs at least 500K spending on it to bring it into the 21st century.

Didn't last long did it? Been passed today and it is closed, again!

It needs at least 500K spending on it to bring it into the 21st century.

I met five members of their last set of staff, who managed to be rude to myself and four other friends, individually, and on separate occasions. Haven't set foot in the place for months because of their bad attitudes to customers. I hope the new set of staff have a bit more interest in their customers!

When I called in briefly some months ago now nobody was behind the bar at all for ages while customers just stood there waiting!

Service was poor and it felt very unfriendly totally different to how it was,suspect they lost the few customers they had left.

I totally agree with the above posts, rude staff and poor service. Problem is, the pub company will just stick another unsuspecting fool in the place and providing they get their rent they will not be bothered if the place is falling apart. Like others have said, it's in a prime location but it needs thousands spending on the place. I went to the Prince of Wales, Carterknowle Road yesterday and you couldn't find a seat in the restaurant or lounge area. Not because the food is anything special, but the place feels nice to relax and have a drink in.

Totally agree about the staff, the quality and cost of the food. We had a day in the park a few months ago and went into the Wagon about 5-30 for a meal. The staff couldn't be bothered to take our order, it took ages to arrive and when it did it was pretty much ineddible. Not once did anyone ask if our meals were ok. We left leaving most of the food on the plates, never to return.

yes the family who had it for ages before,not the last ones were fantastic really friendly and made an effort with regular entertainment and the place was always clean.

Only issue I had was they kept running out of beer but am guessing tats because finance was tight.

Can't see any new management doing more to get people in than they did however as has been said there are 2 major issues.

1,The place needs money spending on it to bring it up to the standard of the competition.

2, The prices particularly of beer were ridiculously high for a pub of that standard.

Typical reason why so many pub co's fail,infact I remember there being signs in there saying they were being forced by rent increases to put the price of beer up.

Archived