Smelter Lane, Pitsmoor

elenac

20 hours ago, beanfan66 said:

Realise this is an old post originally but it came up when I searched "2 Smelter Lane" which I found on my GF's birth cert as his mother's residence, and the place of birth. This is 1921.  So - does that mean she was living there in the workhouse, and gave birth to him in the (children's?) hospital there? Some photos on the workhouse site show a "lying in ward" tho granted that was before 1900.  She was supposedly working in service in Limb Street but I can't find any such place in Sheffield.  He was later adopted but as this was before official adoption, I'm obviously at a brick wall which seems to be surrounding me.

Could it be Lime Street?

• 1 year later...

I know - more time has passed - doesn't it always!   I ended up getting a copy of GF's original birth cert and it turns out the address (for mum) was mis-transcribed - it was Sims Street (not Limb St). Still doesn't help me understand WHAT she was doing at 2 Smilter Lane when she gave birth to him and maybe I'll never know .... I did look at a baptism register (thank you Sheffield Archives)) for the "workhouse" but sadly no record of him in that either.  

I went to a church in Hope today where she was baptised.  I have no clue why this took place there as no connections to the area ... more digging to do!