Olympic torches on ebay

Most of the bidders will be taking the **** anyway, I can't see anyone genuinely paying that much for a real torch never mind a photo

Doesn't a bid constitute a contract, though? I know that if you are in an auction room, and you make a bid, you are held to-it and are expected to make good your offer...

Doesn't a bid constitute a contract, though? I know that if you are in an auction room, and you make a bid, you are held to-it and are expected to make good your offer...

Not really.

The seller can report a non-paying bidder and eBay will give them an 'unpaid item strike' nothing else comes of it. They can even appeal to have the strike removed, and it usually works. This legally binding contract seems to be a load of crap.

Not really.

The seller can report a non-paying bidder and eBay will give them an 'unpaid item strike' nothing else comes of it. They can even appeal to have the strike removed, and it usually works. This legally binding contract seems to be a load of crap.

:o Oh, right, *surprised face*... I didn't realise it worked like that. I very, very rarely use Ebay, I think I've bought off it twice, ever, and never sold anything on there.

I honestly would have thought bidding, even bidding a stupid amount, (whether out of perversity, mischief or whatever) was a legally binding contract, same as if someone offered a safety pin for sale in an auction room, and I bid £58,000 for it, I'd be expected to pay, and be held for breach of contract if I didn't "frame" and hold to what I'd bid.

that was easy - it's ben parkinson,by the look of it, running 26 june, on ebay before he's even had it delivered - hhmmmm.

If that's a name and shame it's a forum no-no :nono:

Personally don't agree with these people selling them unless they give the proceeds to good causes !

Leah, where would you store it? No problem kid. In the spirit of O£ympicness or some such tosh, I'll store it for you for the not unreasonable price of £100 per day, OK? Bargain or wot? :rolleyes:

What's that you say, I'm jumping on the O£ympic rip-everyone-off band wagon? No, no, that would be wrong, perish the thought...

(originally devised by the nazis)

It was apparantly devised before the Nazi came to power, and is actually from the Weimar Republic era.

heard on the news this morning that the olympic torches were appearing on ebay before they've even been used , so checked it out - there's one going at £150,000!!

is this real, or are ebay punters showing their distaste by bidding without any intention to pay? - 150 grand!!

there's even a chancer who's got an ad with small print that says it's a picture of a torch and adds at the end 'please read carefully as you are obliged to pay...' (or words to that effect)

anyone know who's trotting around south yorks with a gold coloured metal stick (originally devised by the nazis), be interesting to see 'item location sheffield/doncaster' and try to match em up.

can't blame them myself - the olympics has become an obscene, corporate circus where 'coca cola' means 'healthy living' and capitalism reigns supreme over decency and fairness and people end up homeless cos grasping landlords want to profit by renting their homes out for thousands a week.

rant over.

Archived