Bee Gees' Robin Gibb Dead

I was sad to hear the passing of Robin Gibb, who was a legend of musical talent, and will be remembered for a very long time.

But. I also heard that he died of bowel and stomach cancer. A sickening was to go, it has to be said. However, the news also reported that he was a tea-total, and a vergetarian, and I'm guessing he didn't smoke either. So to all intents and purposes lead a pretty healthy lifestyle.

So is it the case, if you're gonna get the big 'C' it matters not what sort of lifestyle you live. If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it regardless!?

Your last paragraph makes very little sense. It sounds like you think things are predetermined.

Nobody has ever claimed that healthy living guarantees that you won't get cancer, but it does reduce the chances of getting it quite significantly. It's just playing the numbers game isn't it, you could still be unlucky, but if you live an unhealthy lifestyle you increase the chance of being unlucky.

I was sad to hear the passing of Robin Gibb, who was a legend of musical talent, and will be remembered for a very long time.

But. I also heard that he died of bowel and stomach cancer. A sickening was to go, it has to be said. However, the news also reported that he was a tea-total, and a vergetarian, and I'm guessing he didn't smoke either. So to all intents and purposes lead a pretty healthy lifestyle.

So is it the case, if you're gonna get the big 'C' it matters not what sort of lifestyle you live. If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it regardless!?

If only he had a twin brother, to act as a control group in this, admittedly small, study on the benefits or otherwise of healthy living.

So very sad. For me he had the best voice out of the Bee Gees.

I have to feel for his Mum too - A Mum should never have to bury their child and she has now got to do it for the 3rd time :(

RIP Robin - Goodnight and God Bless.

Your last paragraph makes very little sense. It sounds like you think things are predetermined.

Nobody has ever claimed that healthy living guarantees that you won't get cancer, but it does reduce the chances of getting it quite significantly. It's just playing the numbers game isn't it, you could still be unlucky, but if you live an unhealthy lifestyle you increase the chance of being unlucky.

Some people believe in 'fate'.

If that includes you then why would you worry about making any decision, including one to live healthily?

If I had meant me, the term I would have used is "I believe in fate". I'm not making any lifestyle decisions. I am me, and I live how I want to live, which in reality probably isn't the healthiest of lifestyles. I have no intention of changing.

The question I posed was to do with finding or discussing other peoples opinion of the subject!

Isn't cancer genetic?

I thought we were born with mutant cells and they were triggered by food/smoking/sun whatever or came about as a matter of age?

I sometimes wonder about that.

You hear a lot of instances where women have has mastectomies as a preventive action to their susceptibility of getting breast cancer. That's genetic!

From the Mail online..

'Gibb's twin brother and bandmate Maurice died from the same bowel condition that initially led doctors to operate on Robin.'

So I think maybe genetics have played their part after all, regardless of being a vegetarian.

Archived