I thought lots of people needed work?

Yes but it's a stupid law made by short sighted people and deserves to be disrespected and broken.

The law that people should pay tax? And that benefits shouldn't be claimed if they are working?... They seem like fairly sensible laws to me.

Spot on.

Employers aren't going to engage in such charity - i.e. employ someone at a rate of which they don't consider their skills to be worthy. Ultimately that means if a teenager, say, wants to learn skills on the job but the employer does not deem him worth the minimum wage rate he will not employ him - who has truly lost out there? Obviously the teenager.

Friedman famously called minimum wage "one of the most anti-***** laws on the books" because it promoted discrimination against forward thinking but low skilled workers, of which a disproportionate number were African American during the 60s and 70s.

Therefore it's up to the government to subsidise individuals who are forward thinking and want to learn skills on the job. Minimum wage restricts that under the guise of setting minimum standards.

A graduated negative income tax is far more appropriate because it subsidises the individual without creating that barrier to employment.

Of course, it might be easier for us to pay for such a system if more of the profits of our banking system went into public trusts, but our government preferred to bail out the parasitic failed institutions that should have has their assets liquidised. But I digress. Roll on capitalism 2.0.

Haven't we already paid for people to learn basic skills through the education system?

£50 cash in hand is hardly major fraud, and for some very low paid people it could make the difference between then feeding there family for a week, or going without.

If the polititians can claim travel expenses for travelling to climate change conferences (around the world in first class luxury on a plane) then I think as a society we can turn a blind eye to some bloke earning £50 cash in hand

The law that people should pay tax? And that benefits shouldn't be claimed if they are working?... They seem like fairly sensible laws to me.

Whatever law is stopping someone from taking home the full fruits of their labour is both unjust and unnecessary IMHO.

The law that benefits shouldn't be claimed if you're working is, however, a reasonable law.

Haven't we already paid for people to learn basic skills through the education system?

Yes but formal education clearly isn't for everyone and teens often don't have adequate vocational skills when they leave secondary education. In the interest of equal opportunity we should support a system whereby people can freely obtain skills if they choose to leave school at 16 or university at 21+.

Whatever law is stopping someone from taking home the full fruits of their labour is both unjust and unnecessary IMHO.

The law that benefits shouldn't be claimed if you're working is, however, a reasonable law.

The law that lets certain baronesses sit in the house of lords reaping in even more tax-payers money(after comitting fraud)

£50 cash in hand is hardly major fraud, and for some very low paid people it could make the difference between then feeding there family for a week, or going without.

Yes but we don't care about that because it's against the law, and the law is the law is the law is the law (ad nauseum).

Yes but formal education clearly isn't for everyone and teens often don't have adequate vocational skills when they leave secondary education. In the interest of equal opportunity we should support a system whereby people can freely obtain skills if they choose to leave school at 16 or university at 21+.

How is it to be paid for if,as your post above says,we should be able to take all our earnings home..doesn't that preclude any public services?

I am confused

I was under the impression that lots of people were out of work and looking

Ive offered a bit of work, just manual , £50 for a full day

And have i had many replies?, no hardly any!

People are just to bone idle

I would have got in touch if I had seen it... where did you put it up?

The thing is everyone is struggling now no matter what class. £50 is a lot of money to most right now. I would have thought people would jump at the chance. There isn't a lot of work around. In fact, I was speaking to a mate the other day who told me she applied for an admin job somewhere and 600 other people applied for the same position.

Archived