I thought lots of people needed work?

Anyone taking up the offer of doing the job for the fee offered would be classed as self employed and it would be their responsibility to declare the work and not the OP’s responsibility.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/9166942/Paying-tax-for-your-nanny-QandA.html

This is about nannies, but the method of employment, and indeed the question of cash in hand is identical.

When you employ a person – whether you are running your own business or employing a nanny to work in your home – you are taking on an employer's payroll responsibility so will have to pay tax and National Insurance on behalf of your staff. If you fail to do this you could be hit by monthly fines of £100. But nannies – unlike other types of employees – typically negotiate their wages net of tax, and it is up to the parent to pay the tax and National Insurance for them, as well as the "employer's" tax and NI due.

And the responsibility lies with the person doing the employing, not the employed.

I am not doing the work as I hurt my back and currently having treatment.

It is litterally digging a hole for a pond.

Sorry but £50 is okfor a days work like this. I gave just got someone sorted for it.

I think it's a good deal (a one off) £50 in someones pocket who may only get £60-£80 per fortnight on the dole.

Digging a hole so not too taxing on the brain,and a fitness workout.

I work full-time,but,i would gladly get my hands dirty for £50 if i had nothing else to do.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/9166942/Paying-tax-for-your-nanny-QandA.html

This is about nannies, but the method of employment, and indeed the question of cash in hand is identical.

And the responsibility lies with the person doing the employing, not the employed.

Yes I’m positive, employing a nanny is completely different to paying someone to dig a hole, and a better comparison would be paying a plumber, electrician, carpenter or mechanic to do a job for you. If you pay them to do lots of jobs for you, like maintain a fleet of cars or houses and most of their work is for you then they could be classed as your employee, if its just the odd job every now and again, and they do other jobs for other people then they are self employed.

You are joking?

It works out @ 7.14 per hour if they did 7 hours

Sorry but if you are unemployed and short of money you should be grateful for this

People expect to much these days for doing sod all

I think that's a fair rate :)

Anyone knowingly paying cash in hand to someone who is unemployed will be breaking the law,its a cop out for the employer to say that they hired them as self employed.

The OP didn't say anything about paying someone that is claiming benefits and it’s the responsibility of the claimant to inform the benefits office. A benefits claimant is allowed to earn some money; I think its £10 without losing any benefits.

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance is not affected by any savings you have. However, if you have part-time earnings or an occupational or personal pension, this may affect how much contribution-based JSA you get. For example, the amount of contribution-based JSA that you get is cut pound for pound for any occupational pension that is over £50 a week. If you earn too much, you will not get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance at all.

Theres a bit of difference though in needing work and doing A job. If they ARE on the dole, wouldn't the £50 jeopardise their dole money:?:

£50 a one off may jeopardise their benefits,but it would take a very sad person to grass them up.

That one days graft could open doors,and maybe lead to full-time work if they did a good job,and worked hard.

Yes I’m positive, employing a nanny is completely different to paying someone to dig a hole, and a better comparison would be paying a plumber, electrician, carpenter or mechanic to do a job for you. If you pay them to do lots of jobs for you, like maintain a fleet of cars or houses and most of their work is for you then they could be classed as your employee, if its just the odd job every now and again, and they do other jobs for other people then they are self employed.

I suspect that on the contrary it's up to you to satisfy yourself as to whether you are using the services of a company or employing an individual.

Nannies could obviously be running a company and responsible for their own tax if they wished, but not asking and making that assumption wouldn't absolve you of being responsible for paying tax if you were wrong.

Archived