I thought lots of people needed work?

My other half has been working for £20 a day but then he's not on any benefits so money is money!

Money is money, but 20£ is ridiculous.

20£ a day? Even apprenticeships should pay more than that.

All power to him though of he's willing to to turnout of bed for 20£. Unless he's illegal?

If its under 16 hours he's surely entitled to benefits, especially if he has dependants.

So OK I have big engine to take out of a car and I need a hand I know a guy who could help me I give him a ring not sure if he is unemployed or not and say come and give us a hand and I will drop you £50 for the day mate, I am self employed am I braking the law,I can not see that a bit of cash in hand can be a problem, if I was to need a full time worker I would pay the going rate and tax ect I think if he was unemployed he would be glad of a bit of extra cash,£50 a day is a decent wage if you look at some of the jobs on offer that is actually a bit above the minimum wage,on the other hand I don't think it is right for someone to be claiming and working on the fiddle all the time, the gap between being unemployed and going into work is very scary for some people especially when they have rent and council tax to worry about and a lot of jobs nowadays just don't cover there out goings.

I think for a young lad who's in school/college and not claiming benefits £50 is perfectly fair for a straighforward days labouring job. However the onus is on you if you pay cash in hand to ensure the person you employ isn't claiming benefits or you are facilitating benefit fraud.

How would you check?

This is my point.

It's not bad pay for simple work. Weather is nice, yet the lack of replies amazes me.

I have had people work for me before. I needed a trench digging for a water pipe. One lad turned up, started then asked for more cash, then walked off as couldn't be bothered. Then some lad came to do a hedge. I said in the advert you must finish the job to get paid. He left at lunch time making some excuse and still expected to get paid.

The ones who worked the hardest were poles( ok I may be generalising) but they turned , did it, no fuss. Paid.

I think you are starting an urban myth,with a view to provoking an argument.

How would you check?

Nod and wink, don't let the old dole office know eh? If they say actually I'm not claiming anything, you're clean, you've used reasonable endeavours. If they agree, if you engage them then you are complicit in benefit fraud.

I think you are starting an urban myth,with a view to provoking an argument.

No,

The poles I employed always got stuck in. Worked hard. End of.

Not a myth in my direct experience. I've been there and got the t shirt

I am confused

I was under the impression that lots of people were out of work and looking

Ive offered a bit of work, just manual , £50 for a full day

And have i had many replies?, no hardly any!

People are just to bone idle

Maybe it's because of the following?

Agh thanks:) but i dont actually live in the Sheffield area anymore,

How many people ion sheffield do you think do odd jobs for cash in hand?

Quite a lot I would think but much less if the person doesn't live in the same city/town

This is my point.

It's not bad pay for simple work. Weather is nice, yet the lack of replies amazes me.

Not really, see above.

Nod and wink, don't let the old dole office know eh? If they say actually I'm not claiming anything, you're clean, you've used reasonable endeavours. If they agree, if you engage them then you are complicit in benefit fraud.

But someone claiming JSA is allowed to do the odd job and it is their responsibility to inform the benefits office,

You can claim JSA online if you are:

actively looking for work or working fewer than 16 hours per week

Archived