Spence Broughton request

I wonder if anyone can help me with an unusual request?

I am the 5th great grandson of Spence Broughton who, as you many will know, was hanged in York in 1792 for robbing the Sheffield to Rotherham mail, and was gibbeted on Attercliffe Common for 35 years. I know from my researches that SB became something of a local hero - at least thousands came to see him being hoisted onto the gibbet when he was brought back from York after his execution.

My son is a student on the MA in Radio course at Goldsmiths College, London and is producing a 15 minute feature about our ancestor as part of his assessed practical work. We are thinking of coming up to Sheffield in the next couple of weeks to make some recordings. Can you or any of your colleagues think of any local historian who is familiar with the story who might be prepared to talk to him and be recorded as part of the feature? I know Simon would be most grateful if you were able to make any recommendations of people to approach.

Many thanks, in anticipation,

Tim

Hi Freeman

There is a well known Sheffield Historian Lecturer and book writer called Melvin Jones who is well up on the subject of Spence Broughton.

He used to do a weekly Local History programme on the BBC Radio Sheffield. I'm sure he would be able to help you as his knowledge local is vast.

I believe he lives in Ecclesfield but do not have a phone number or address.

I know he lectured at the university some years ago so I think you will ber able to contact him through these sources or some Forummer on here may be able to guide you in the right direction.

I do hope this helps you, do let us know if you are successful.

Happy Days! PopT

Archived