Champs closing..end of an era!

GodStar

Shame to see another place to watch football cease to exist. I guess the Pomona (now The Ecclesall) is probably better to watch the match anyway. Am getting fed up of Thornbridge taking over everything though, don't mind them taking over dying pubs or shut ones like they did with the Greystones but shame to see diversity ruined by places like the Bath, Stag and Champs going over to them.

Not taking it over they have had 50% for years and have owned 100% for getting on for a year almost and they haven't "ruined" it in all that time. I'd love for Thornbridge to take somewhere over but not let on its them and then look at all the comments praising it then for it to be leaked they own it and people miraculously change their opinion over night

Not taking it over they have had 50% for years and have owned 100% for getting on for a year almost and they haven't "ruined" it in all that time. I'd love for Thornbridge to take somewhere over but not let on its them and then look at all the comments praising it then for it to be leaked they own it and people miraculously change their opinion over night

I'm with you on this kirbyb. I have to say that wherever they've got involved the places have improved massively as a result.

Take the Greystones for example. What a run down dive of a place that used to be. Now look at it. I don't recall the Stag on Psalter Lane being anything special for years - but you can bet it will improve massively under Thornbridge as well.

Not only that - but their beer is superior to just about anything else as well.

So, they can take over Sheffield for all I care. In fact, why not change the name from Sheffield to "Thornbridge Central". At least we'd be famous for something and might even get ourselves on the UK weather map?

Thornbridge did really well with The Greystones a lot of work had to be done to bring people back in to that. It was a no go pub because of the certain folk that used to hang around the car park.

It was a smart move to give them a uniform and minimum wage and call them "attendants" I agree.

Not been in Champs for years as it seemed to go a bit chavvy and then I moved to the other side of town. Have fond memories of watching a Liverpool game in there with a very tipsy Emlyn Hughes about ten years ago, though!

Thornbridge seem to know when to leave a place well enough alone, though I'd imagine Champs could do with freshening up by now. Part of the problem with Eccy Rd at the moment is that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It's increasingly a boutiquey, trendy area with posh shops and pricey bars/restaurants but there's still a cheap and cheerful, studenty element here and there.

Archived