Excel/VCS lose in Court (+ Tribunal)

True and if you do overstay by a certain amount of time or park without permission at all they should be able to claim money to recover costs of you doing so. What they shouldn't be able to do is hire a private company to demand obscene amounts of money which in no way relate to the contravention commited (due costs and conpensation to the land owner). If I park on your land causing you inconvenience I will be happy to reimburse you for losses, however I won't pay your neighbour £120 just because he said he'd watch your drive for you.

Exactly right .........

People who park only where they're allowed to park never have any dealings with Excel or any other parking companies.

Not so, HN. there are numerous documented instances of people having broken no "rules" receiving "tickets". I have shared one of these on this very forum.

None of that detracts, however, from the fact that the invoices these companies issue are unenforcable.

As a law-abiding person, she's right. She parked for longer than the terms of the car park allow, and she would quite naturally want to comply with their terms. Any right-thinking person would feel the same.

It speaks volumes that you are arguing the reverse position.

Heading North,

I once had my car broken into outside the Albert Hall, I should have known better as there was a Beware car thieves operate in this area. As a law abiding citizen should I let the mugger get away with it and offer him the stuff that he didn't manage to steal?

After all there was a sign? Does putting up a sign make it legal?

Do you people just stick your cars anywhere and never try to find out if there are some form of parking restrictions in place?

If there are restrictions in place, you deserve all the hassle you get. To avoid all the pain of receiving letters, park in a multi storey.

not at all. i have a ticket and wasnt even there lol

That only gives customers of the supermarket permission to use the car park for the amount of time the supermarket grants it, and provided they abide by tghe terms the supermarket lays down.

Anyone ignoring those terms, is parking without permission just as much as if they drive onto my front garden and leave the car there without my letting them.

There is no need for any landowner to use a private parking company. Barnsley Hospital have a superb system they use to manage their car park, and it works brilliantly.

When you arrive at the car park there is a ticket machine at the enterence barrier which issues you a ticket then lifts the barrier for you . When you have finished your visist you take your ticket to a pay machine which tells you how much you owe . ie, the first 20 mins are free , the next hr is 1.20 and so on .You put your ticket in and pay what you owe( or if you are under 20 mins its free). The machine gives you back your ticket and you then put it into a machine at the exit barrier which then lifts the barrier for you to exit the car park.

This is a system that every company could use ,ending the need for private parking companys to be used.

Do you people just stick your cars anywhere and never try to find out if there are some form of parking restrictions in place?

If there are restrictions in place, you deserve all the hassle you get. To avoid all the pain of receiving letters, park in a multi storey.

Whta i expect to pay is a few quid to the land owner if i happen to be held up for some reason and i over stay my time in the car park. What i wont do is pay £60/80/100 to an outside company who dont own the land and who have not suffered any financial losses what so ever ,and who are not collecting an overstay charge on behalf of the landowner but just demanding money with menaces for their own financial gain.

Dont you see the difference here. ?

As a law-abiding person, she's right. She parked for longer than the terms of the car park allow, and she would quite naturally want to comply with their terms. Any right-thinking person would feel the same.

It speaks volumes that you are arguing the reverse position.

Whilst I understand your position, and have every empathy for the business that find their provision of parking abused, I think the story of Alcoblog's girlfriend is good example of why the use of companies like Excel is wrong.

Businesses want customers to park on their land, in parking spaces provided for, well, their customers. In fact a customer that spends 125 mins spending money on their property is probably more desirable than the customer that spends 10 mins, yet it is the former that receives the threatening invoices and letters.

A customer who spends 10 mins shopping, returns home and then two hours later goes back and spends another 10 mins shopping is also likely to get a threatening letter.

This is why the terms "law-abiding" and "right-thinking" become meaningless. It is wrong to abuse somebody else's property, and park on it when not welcome. But I know that I am welcome whilst I am a customer, irrespective of some advisory notice.

If I was to visit half a dozen shops on a retail park resulting in a stay over the advisory period, or visit more than once in the day, then I would still consider myself to be "law-abiding" or "right-thinking" person if I was to do that knowing that I might get, and ignore, an illegal threatening letter *.

* I've never had one btw.

This is a system that every company could use ,ending the need for private parking companys to be used.

Some of the bits of land in downtown Sheffield belong to adjacent companys and may hold about half a dozen vehicles at most.

People park on these in the evenings on a night in town when the firms are closed but still the parking companys come round late at night to clamp vehicles.

Some of the bits of land in downtown Sheffield belong to adjacent companys and may hold about half a dozen vehicles at most.

People park on these in the evenings on a night in town when the firms are closed but still the parking companys come round late at night to clamp vehicles.

Which again is wrong on every level. Personally i think clamping companys should also be outlawed.

If it is morally acceptable for a retail business to issue penalty notices to shoppers that spend more than two hours shopping, then is the provision of an eating/drinking establishment by such a retail business a form of "entrapment"?

Archived