New employment rules for dismissing underproductive staff. about time!!

Being "good at ones job" is one of those very subjective phrases that is very much open to abuse. How can it be proved or disproved?

Very simply. Does the person who pays your wage want to continue to pay you a wage?

If yes, you're doing a good job.

If no, you're not.

What is being proposed is "no fault dismissal", why would/should someone be dismissed when they're not at fault in any way?? :huh:

Not at fault of what? And an employer should be able to dismiss anyone they choose to dismiss, but they would be very unlikely to sack a hard worker.

because he didn't like them

i'm very good at my job but i also frequently question the insane processes and procedures at work, which actually hinder my ability to do my job. the latest one being to insert a delay of up to a week between work being requested and work being started just so a committee of clerks, who don't understand what i do, can tick some boxes.

unfortunately, we have some new management who value ticking boxes more than actually doing stuff.

so does that make me more or less productive?

maybe we should be able to get rid of unproductive managers too :)

The owner of the business would be able to get rid managers and should be able to sack anyone whom constantly questions what they are told to do.

Very simply. Does the person who pays your wage want to continue to pay you a wage?

If no, you're not.

Which is very different to what the proposals purport to be about, but probably very close to what they are about realistically.

If no, you're not.

Way too simplistic a way of looking at it. My manager, who has the power to hire and fire, doesn't pay me himself, the company, the owners of which have never met me, pay me.

China? Russia? Burma? North Korea? Venezuela? Cuba? Vietnam?

How about Germany? They have worker councils and all manner of petty fogging workers rights over there and they are considered the engine of Western Europe.

Way too simplistic a way of looking at it. My manager, who has the power to hire and fire, doesn't pay me himself, the company, the owners of which have never met me, pay me.

Do you think your manager would be more or less inclined to hire and fire on the basis of productive workers rather than emotions if he could also be hired and fired at will by his manager, ditto his manager up to the owner?

I worked for a number of companies before being self emplopyed and in my experience the people who have most to fear from liberalised employment "rights" are lazy poor managers.

are you william hague?

there are many reasons why the country is in the mess it is now, one of them being workers being forced to work for almost nothing while executives get millions for doing nothing useful.

oh come on you can do better than that!!

while this may be a dark cloud, it does have a silver lining

and that is that employment practices such as the ones proposed are what drove the formation of unions

unions are old school and so outdated they have no power anymore...thank you Mrs T!

Archived