Queens Jubilee..bank holiday?

I will get a "day off" to spend at my Parents', I've already cancelled my carers on the Monday, and I'm considering booking the Tuesday off as it's a 2 day Holiday for the Jubilee but Mum doesn't like me cancelling a lot of my care cos she thinks in the current climate that if I cancel hours of care the socials will take them off me.

Think you ought to get another job then?

Nope. I only work about 140 days a year, just I don't choose when those days are so I often work Bank Holidays. It's a bit of a pain when it comes to Christmas, but otherwise it's a lifestyle that suits me. I work a few weeks away, then have a few weeks off back home in Sheffield.

I had 9 weeks off earlier in the year :)

Nope. I only work about 140 days a year, just I don't choose when those days are so I often work Bank Holidays. It's a bit of a pain when it comes to Christmas, but otherwise it's a lifestyle that suits me. I work a few weeks away, then have a few weeks off back home in Sheffield.

I had 9 weeks off earlier in the year :)

Seriously not bothered.

Legally, it depends on the fine print in your contract. If the leave section states "such-and-such plus bank holidays" then you get the day off. If it says "such-and-such plus eight bank holidays" then you do not, unless the employer is magnanimous. (Many of them are giving it anyway, if not out of the goodness of their hearts then because they don't want an annoyed workforce.)

I don't like Bank Holidays. It just means everyone else has the day off too and any attraction is too crowded.

It also means lots of Homebase/B&Q/DIY adverts on TV plus all the supermarkets advertising joints of meat for roasting.

What's the appeal of Bank Holidays?

I don't like Bank Holidays. It just means everyone else has the day off too and any attraction is too crowded

What's the appeal of Bank Holidays?

Where a couple both work, and neither has a completely free choice of annual leave, they guarantee that you are both off on the same day, eight times a year.

I'm not convinced that's reason enough to keep them, but it is a point in favour.

Archived