Girl who joked about having bombs in her bag

Originally posted by Agent Dan

1) Prison is meant to be a correctional institute. i.e. it is supposed to the experience! It will also make other people learn.

teach you the error of your ways. I don't believe locking up an idiot will make them intelligent, or learn from their experiences.

Prison is also a form of punishment. You're right, it won't make her more intelligent but I think you're wrong that it won't make her learn from it. It also sends a message that others will learn from.

2) If you had a bomb on you, and were fulling intending to detonate it on an aeroplane, would you repeat the same line three times to the people scanning your bag???

Maybe but, like someone already said, most bombers are likely to be a couple of sarni's short of a picnic. You could also have a case of a suicide bomber changing their minds when faced with the reality of it. They had no choice but to take it seriously even if it was 99.9% certain she was just being an idiot.

3) They had an x-ray machine! For christ's sake! Did they even try looking in her bag?

It is unlikely the bomb will be made from of sticks of dynamite with a clock on top. They are actually hard to spot as it is easy to disguise a small amount plastic explosive and then assemble a detonator on the plane from components also hidden.

4) That's it really. That sort of stupidity deserves financial punishment, not physical incarceration

Matter of opinion. By the way she hasn't paid for it financial yet either. She's paid a bond (bail) which she'd lose if she doesn't attend the hearing but gets it back if she does.

Originally posted by fnkysknky

What crime were/are they intending to charge her with?

Falsely reporting a bomb.

Incidentally, when I went on a plane to the US, we had to fill this form in while in the air. I dont know what it was called, but it was to do with entry clearance or a visa waiver.

You had to answer various questions, one of which was something like "Are you coming to the US to plot or carry out terrorist actions?".

Yes I know it is a bizarre question, but I would imagine that if you ticked "yes" for a joke, they wouldnt let you in then either.

Some things are not funny and bombs on planes are one such thing.

Glad she is coming home though, if I was her I wouldnt go back either....

Just found this on http://www.ananova.com

Goodness me some people are beyond mental!

"A woman has been arrested after telling airport check-in staff she had a bomb in her luggage.

The 48-year-old arrived late at Newcastle Airport for an easyJet flight to Paris this afternoon, and became aggressive when she was told she could not catch the plane.

The woman, who comes from South Tyneside, made threats towards staff that she had a bomb in her luggage, a Northumbria Police spokeswoman said.

She is being questioned this afternoon by officers."

Here's the 2 peneth from Sky News.........

BOMB JOKER ARRESTED

A woman has been arrested at Newcastle Airport after telling check-in staff she had a bomb in her luggage.

It comes after British student Samantha Marson, 21, was arrested at Miami airport after joking with staff she had three bombs in her bag.

The 48-year-old arrived late at Newcastle Airport for an easyJet flight to Paris and became aggressive when told she could not catch the plane.

The woman, who comes from South Tyneside, made threats towards staff that she had a bomb in her luggage, a Northumbria Police spokeswoman said.

She is being questioned this afternoon by officers.

Marson faces 15 years in a US court if convicted.

She later admitted her remarks were "the most stupid thing in the world ever".

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1120480,00.html

Meh, people are stupid....

They should throw the book at the likes of her and that 21 year old to send a message to other idiots who are considering doing anything like it.

Perhaps a few years at George W Bush or Her Majesty's pleasure will teach them not to be so daft in future.

Archived