Pre- 1960 cars no MOT.

They were rot boxes then and are still rot boxes now yes keep on testing.I starting testing these cars in 1960 and sent many to their graves and kept Mr Cooper in scrap and well deserved the old cars were rubbish.

The old cars that are around now have stood the test of time and are not rot boxes

the old metal was not as good admitted but you can repair them with welding and replacement panels unlike some of the modern cars that rot in places that you can not weld or repair.

The requirement for insurance of a motor vehicle does not require it to have a valid MOT certificate on an old car, or any car for that matter. However using it on the road 'does' require a valid MOT certificate, for qualifying vehicles.

I don't see the problem with pre-1960 vehicles being exempt from having an MOT. Let's face it, any vehicle that sort of age has either been lovingly cared for or fully restored to it's former glory. It's not like you can buy a cheap and cheerful pre-1960 car from the small ads, or from the local scrapyard. I reality, most of them, I would have thought are probably in better nick than some that are under 10 years old or less!

I'd assume that people who care to run 52 year old cars are enthusiasts and as such will probably look after their cars more than someone with a 15 year old banger..the people I know in this category certainly do..

Ive just been talking to my mate who does MOTs for me and he says that you will not be able to bring them in for MOT they will not be on the system so you will not be able to MOT them even if you want to,I can see this being a problem with insurance company's.

Madness, why just because a car was built before 1960 is it no longer required to be roadworthy?

The same for any car less than 3 years old...by the time my company car is due for it's MOT it'll have done about 150,000 miles...what makes you think the pre 1960's will be allowed on the road in an unroadworty condition..?

One of my old cars has non hydrolic brakes in other words rod brakes if you don't constantly adjust and maintain them they don't work full stop, I would not dream of taking to the road with dodgy brakes,my old Ford pop did less than 300 miles last year so it has been stood in my garage most of the time,the sun is out so it might have a run out soon most of the guys who I know in the classic car world look after the cars like a baby.

I'd assume that people who care to run 52 year old cars are enthusiasts and as such will probably look after their cars more than someone with a 15 year old banger..the people I know in this category certainly do..

Many of the boy-racers of today really look after their cars well but still have to a yearly MOT.

Is this the Tory led government looking after its older, rich, classic car owning supporters I wonder? hmmmm.

Archived