What, No Cycling Section?

Aye. That'd explain why the moderating team dont want a cycling section, then. I'm sure they have both a life outside of SF moderation, and other sections here that also need moderating.

A cycling section would not help with either of those.

FYI, I am a cyclist :)

Yes, i have noticed that SFs moderating team do seem somewhat averse to moderating threads :)

But, I was just pointing out that on some other forums, that's the way they do things i.e. their moderators do some actual moderating and thus they run things like cycling threads quite efficently.

The key is to simply remove individual posts that break the rules, along with a warning to the poster, rather than, as on here, just let the thread turn into a war zome and then just lock/delete the thread.

FYI, i am also a cyclist.

Yes, i have noticed that SFs moderating team do seem somewhat averse to moderating threads :)

But, I was just pointing out that on some other forums, that's the way they do things i.e. their moderators do some actual moderating and thus they run things like cycling threads quite efficently.

The key is to simply remove individual posts that break the rules, along with a warning to the poster, rather than, as on here, just let the thread turn into a war zome and then just lock/delete the thread.

FYI, i am also a cyclist.

Aye, tis true. And, yep, I've "seen" you on many of the (let's slag off those) cycling threads on here.

I must admit, I enjoy it. Explaining to people about VED a million times, posting links to the highway code. It's all great fun and most enlightening.

Tho, some threads about, say, some rides out, good equipment etc would also be great

As a recent 'born again cyclist' I'm really surprised that there isn't a Sheffield Forum cycling section, what with all the cyclists in and around Sheffield... :confused:

It would be nice, but (as someone else mentioned) I'd feel sorry for the moderators.

Firstly "What" - not wot....

Secondly, I agree... :)

It was a play on words, as used by the old Chad or Kilroy cartoon character but see what you did there? You actually effectively moderated.... ;)

Fancy modding a Sheffield Forum cycling section then...? :D

Many forums get around these kind of problems by simply stating that the cycling section is for constructive discussions about cycling matters, that motorists bitching about cyclists is not welcome, then using a moderation team to remove any posts that don't follow that guideline.

Question for the moderators: if the software allows it, would they be willing to set up a cycling section with the ranters blocked just from posting to that section (not banned from the whole Forum)?

Aye, tis true. And, yep, I've "seen" you on many of the (let's slag off those) cycling threads on here.

I must admit, I enjoy it. Explaining to people about VED a million times, posting links to the highway code. It's all great fun and most enlightening.

Tho, some threads about, say, some rides out, good equipment etc would also be great

...and with a bit of luck there might be a bit of education for one or two of the unenlightened.

There's definitely a need for a cycling forum. Some of the clubs have their own, but they tend to be quite elitist and there are a lot of people out there who want to get into cycling but need advice on starting out and negotiating Sheffield's fearsome and poorly maintained roads. The majority of clubs don't want to know you until you can ride for four hours through the Peaks at 15km/h.

Given the tone of this place though, it would likely be a flamefest. At the risk of putting the cat among the pigeons, I drive 30,000 miles a year and have never even had a near miss with a cyclist. I suspect the drivers that complain most vocally about cyclists must have very poor observation/awareness on the road.

Archived