How can the european court decide a blanket ban on prison voting is illegal

Well I suppose that if they did look at one specific case and consider that. Then decide that it was illegal in that case. It surely follows that every other case would have to be covered by the same ruling (ie a blanket ban). That's the legalities of it. It's like the PPI cases and the banks mis-selling it. Wasn't that as a result of one court ruling, so it followed that it must have been the case across the board.

Oh, and I'm not supporting it. Personally I think the EU courts ought to keep out of out sodding business.

What would prisoners vote for? Less latrine duty? Plasma TV's? Less interference from prson officers?....etc.....While they lose their liberty to interact with 'normal' society, they also lose their right to vote for anything. That's what losing your liberty means! (although I daresay some smart Alec will give us the dictionary definition shortly)

The EU courts have kept out of it.

It's the ECHR - established by the European Convention on Human Rights - adopted under the Council of Europe -founded in the late 1940's - not the European Union - founded as the EEC in the late 1950's

Having established, on another thread, that most incarcerated criminals are below average intelligence and that most stupid people are conservatives (according to John Stuart Mill) you can understand why Cameron and his party would be receptive to this proposal.

A: it cannot. There is NO such thing as 'international law'; mere treaties create no rights.

The UK Government should ignore the Court; but, being craven quislings, they'll cave-in as usual.

You WISH as a little Englander that there was no such thing as international law but the UN, IMF, WTO, EU, ECHR, Geneva Conventions, and many other bodies would suggest that your wish is nothing more than a fantasy.

Some people [ many here on SF ] have been saying for years that Europe is a Nanny State writ large. It 's tried to interfere in as many aspects of life as possible. Unfortunately, successive governments in the U.K have acted like craven sheep and given in to all kinds of lunatic rules and regs. Even more unfortunately millions of ' proud ' British citizens have often kowtowed even more than the government !

Rule Britannia !

When a person commits a crime and is then charged and imprisoned for it then they lose the right to vote. That is it, there should be no grey area, no concessions, nothing until they are released.

If certain prisoners are given the right to vote then they will all want it and that is a recipe for trouble. It is easier to implement if none of them are able to vote

The rest of Europe should get their own house in order before interfering here.

I would guess that 90% of the prison population have neither voted or intend to vote, either through apathy or marginalization. What better time to introduce the ideals behind the vote to those that don't care for society or society seeming not to care for them. Being punitive seems ever so non productive.

I get the impression some are more concerned with the punishment than how the offender will perform on release.

A: it cannot.

Yes, it can; because, although you might well argue that...

There is NO such thing as 'international law'; mere treaties create no rights.

...it's an irrelevant argument. The UK Government has passed Acts of Parliament binding itself to abide by ECHR rulings. Those Acts do create rights.

The UK Government has passed Acts of Parliament binding itself to abide by ECHR rulings. Those Acts do create rights.

Yes, you're right.

International treaty bodies have no jurisdiction in the UK.

BUT UK law can reflect what they'd like to impose.

Archived