Vile animal cruelty. Why?

JBee

Originally posted by JBee

Actually I think shooting those who are cruel to animals would be highly effective, and if that makes me psychotic then so be it. Or perhaps an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth...

Thug sticks a firework up a cat's ar*e, so we stick a firework up the thug's ar*e. Idiot put the legs off a daddylonglegs, we pull the legs off the idiot. Moron dumps their kittens outside a shelter in a plastic bag, we dump moron outside a shelter in a plastic bag.

Are you seriously advocating amputation as a punishment for insect dismemberment?

Seems a bit harsh, especially when you consider that dumping someone outside a shelter for a much worse crime (dumping kittens) hardly constitutes punishment at all.

And also the mass cruelty inflicted on the insect and invertebrate population in the name of agriculture seems to dwarf the scale of cruelty to vertebrates (in terms of the numbers of organisms involved).

Originally posted by Norbert

Our neighbours got a rabbit for their kids when they were little, it lived alone in a tiny hutch on their back yard, with no attention from the kids after the first week, maybe getting let out once a month. It died unmourned and unloved years later, so depressing.

Small furries are some of the worst treated domestic animals, and they often lead truly miserable lives.

When I was five my parents bought me a rabbit, to go in the cage in the back garden. I was probably more attentive than most kids - I cleaned it out and stuff, but I still shudder when I think back to what a lonely, boring life it must have led. It makes me feel quite sick, and I often berate my mum about it, even now. Having a pet in the family can do children the world of good, but not stuck in a cage at the bottom of the garden.

Now I have another bunny, a house bunny, and she has the happiest life - she's totally free range and litter trained, she gets loads of attention and companionship, the free run of my flat, ect ect. But ever since I've had her I've found myself feeling really guilty about that rabbit I had as a kid.

The rabbit I have now is so inquisitive, expressive, and playful, with such a unique character, that it makes me realise just how cruel it was to leave a rabbit locked up in a tiny hutch.

I wish more people would realise this. :(

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Are you seriously advocating amputation as a punishment for insect dismemberment?

Seems a bit harsh, especially when you consider that dumping someone outside a shelter for a much worse crime (dumping kittens) hardly constitutes punishment at all.

How can dismembering insects be less of a crime than dumping kittens? Especially when the kittens still have their limbs left?

This really gets to me too - the way a lot of people rate one species over another simply based on cuteness, size, or social stereotypes.

How can dismembering insects be less of a crime than dumping kittens? Especially when the kittens still have their limbs left?

This really gets to me too - the way a lot of people rate one species over another simply based on cuteness, size, or social stereotypes.

Well if you pull a leg off an arthropod, they will often get on fine without it, suffer no major trauma, and go on to lead long happy fulfilling lives.

Pulling a leg off a kitten is an entirely different proposition.

Point taken about species-ism, but it's really only Jain monks who care about the little organisms.

Well if you pull a leg off an arthropod, they will often get on fine without it, suffer no major trauma, and go on to lead long happy fulfilling lives.

Pulling a leg off a kitten is an entirely different proposition.

Point taken about species-ism, but it's really only Jain monks who care about the little organisms.

Okay, pull a wing off then and lets see it live a long, happy and fulfilling life. And how do you know they suffer no trauma. Where you a moth in a past life perhaps?

Perhaps if we all learned more respect for ALL living things, including the more 'insignificant' ones, there would be less cruelty in this world, full stop. If a kid takes pleasure in pullnig the legs of a spider, then when it grows into a teenager it might start taking pleasure in hanging puppies. And then when it becomes an adult.... wife beater? kiddie fiddler? Who knows...

If a kid takes pleasure in pullnig the legs of a spider, then when it grows into a teenager it might start taking pleasure in hanging puppies. And then when it becomes an adult.... wife beater? kiddie fiddler?

or

a Surgeon? Invertbrate Biologist? Accountant?

or

a Surgeon? Invertbrate Biologist? Accountant?

Surgeon perhaps. Psychopaths have been known to make their career in high-powered, high-stress positions. Wall street bankers, Phil Collins and Huey Lewis fans... Heads of department too. Mine anyway.

Originally posted by nigsmig

hi, maybe if we killed all humans we could end all cruelty to every species on the planet. a small price i'm sure you'll agree. it would also slow down global warming a bit.

Wouldn't work. The cats would take over, reign supreme and start torturing and/or bumping off the dogs.

I agree completely, animal cruelty is up at this time of year and I think it's often the parents' fault who rush out and buy their child a rabbit or a puppy for Christmas and the kid simply doesn't want it.

Often, these kittens dumped outside shelters are dumped there by misinformed, caring people. Whilst they don't think about the temperatures, they don't dare find out what happened to the poor creature. At this time of year the shelters are full and owners are forced to have the animal put down or put into a 7 day pound. At the end of the 7 days the animal is destroyed. These people don't want to face that (selfish but they can't bear it) and so they dump them so they can go home and kid themselves that the animal will be ok.

It's so sad.

Archived