Mobile network 3 announce price increase

Three has announced that it's increasing the cost of its pay-monthly phone and mobile broadband plans for existing customers by 3.6% from 16 July. The company claims that the increase results from rising costs due to inflation.

The price increase affects all pay-monthly customers who signed-up to their current deal before 8 March this year. Monthly costs will jump by 3.6%, meaning that a £15 plan will increase by £0.54 a month (£12.96 over a two year contract) and a £41 plan will increase by £1.48 a month (£35.42 over a two year contract).

The increase will be applied to the total monthly package price and won’t be applied to any service add-ons. Pay-as-you-go customers will be unaffected.

Will these changes affect me?

All customers affected by the price increase will receive an SMS, email or letter by 1 June 2012 detailing exactly how much their individual increase will be. The increase will come into effect from the customer’s first bill date on or after 16th July. Customers can also visit Three's website for more information on how the price increase will affect them.

A spokesman for the company told Which?: ‘The increase results from rising costs in Three’s business due to inflation. This is the first increase of this kind that the company has put in place for contract handset customers since it launched more than nine years ago.’

Customers won't be able to leave their contract early as Three’s terms and conditions allow it to raise its prices in line with inflation (in this case the Retail Price Index rate published on 17 April 2012). Customers wishing to cancel their contracts are therefore likely to incur cancellation charges.

Previous price rises

Rival telecom providers Orange and T-Mobile have introduced similar price increases in the last six months. Neither allowed customers to cancel their contracts and regulator Ofcom ruled that they were within their rights to do so.

What do people think either on 3 network or a rival network, I think not stinks, a contract should be a contract, I won't be renewing my contract but have 20 months left :-(

I have emailed. Three customer services this email....

I have a 24 month contract paying £35 per month. I have had a text saying my bill will be going up because of inflation of £1.23 extra per month.

Their for I would like to give 30 days notice to terminate my contact with three mobile, under terms and conditions 10.1 (d)

T&C’s Section 4.1 in that three mobile have given me 30 days notice of a variation to my agreement and that I disagree with the variation and as per T&C’s Section 10.1(d) I terminate my agreement with NO early termination fee.

I'm guessing they ain't gonna agree to this, if everyone canceled their direct debits, I bet that would create a stir.

Its not the amount of increase, it's the principal

been with 3 for about 4 years after vodafone had been goosing me for years.i have a yearly contract with 2k mins and 3k text plus all you can eat data for £16.50 although i bought my phone through their shop.they all make their money through long term contracts with fancy phones.ihave a reasonable andriod device and am happy with the contract. if you keep it simple,i think its reasonable.

its disappointing, but the fact is for me, even at £36 or £37 per month, the 'one plan' is still best value on the market. I get unlimited data (5gb last month alone), spotify premium for free and all the minutes/texts I can use. oh, and the cheapest price upfront for an iphone 4.

Yes their CS is very poor and signal isnt the best (much improved for me in the last 12 months tho).

orange did this about 6 months ago, and it stunk then, can you imagine any other business gettin g away with asking for money after the sale has been agreed, sorry but also the office of fair trading and ofcom wont help either, we tried to over the orange affair and they didnt help one bit !!!

I have 3 mobile broadband- its always been £15 for 15GB for me. I think this is the 3rd year Ive had them and havent had a problem- to be fair compared to alot of the other companies they've not increased their price too much

I was in the final 3 months of my contract and ported out my number to giffgaff and not had any problems. It was a case of paying £42 p/m or £13 p/m on giffgaff so i am saving money and i get more.

Archived