BS10500: Anti-Bribery standard: Do we need this?

I've just has an email from British Standards who are promoting their new standard for Anti-Bribery within companies.

I'm a bit taken aback. Shocked. and a bit confused.

Do we need a British Standard covering this?

Here's the link: http://shop.bsigroup.com/en/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030238856&utm_source=MS-LAU-ICT-10500-00BUY-1205&utm_medium=et_mail&utm_content=2637890&utm_campaign=&utm_term=bs10500BUYABUTT

I dont see why you are so shocked.

I used to work for an international law firm. Part of my job was to spend weeks researching in depth every company name or possible family tree company director connected to a client before we could even take the simplest of cases on. Any strange occurance or link had to be investigated.

The Bribary Act and potential pitfalls/consequences for employees and company directors are incredibly complex. It can lead to not only severe fines on the company but personal prosecution against individual employees at worst.

A guide leading to a BS mark seems like a good idea to me.

For the Bribery Act 2010, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/23/contents

It's not all new. It replaced three Acts dating from 1889 to 1916, with modernisation and some amendments.

Well isn't this sort of thing already covered by legislation? I can't really see that having a British Standard covering it will make the system any better. In fact, it could make it worse, if a company or local authority gets approval to the standard, it makes investigation a bit less likely, as allegedly they will be squeaky clean. But we all know it's never going to stop it. People will just find more inventive ways to conceal it!

BSI is not legislating, you know. Maybe its Standards just explain the Act, for ease of use.

Yes I know Jeffrey. I deal with British Standards as part of my job (as in BS:EN:ISO: 9001: Quality Management Systems).

Having not actually read it, I know it will be a set of practices that will be laid down to (try) eliminate the use of bribery within an organisation. Where you have to have procedures and verifyable auditing procedures to check that it's being implemented as required. Then you will be audited on usually a 12 monthly basis by BSi or other accredited company to ensure you are still implementing the procedures as laid down and in compliance with your stated policies.

I just personally don't see a need for it. When there are laws and perfectly adequate written legislation covering it.

Archived