All car drivers should look at this

It’s now official folks, you can park any place, any time you want. This is fact from the horse’s mouth, police and council. (No Joke) If there is yellow lines and they are not clear with gaps and bits missing you may park as they can only nick you on clearly marked lines. The Police now have no powers to nick you for parking; they have given it all over to Sheffield council FACT. Again from the horse’s mouth, police. You can park on a bend, opposite a junction, on the brow of a hill, on the pavement or in the middle of the road. I have had the police and council down outside our factory where there was folk parked as all the above, one car was parked so far on the pavement he was 2" off the factory wall. The council said they could only nick folk on clearly marked lines and couldn’t enforce any other illegal parking. The Copper said he couldn’t nick anyone for parking at all under any circumstances, sorry I tell a lie he said only if it’s a danger to others, and the woman who had to walk out in to the middle of the road with her pram to get round the one on the pavement was apparently not dangerous enough. Even when I told him that someone often comes past with a white stick and is blind he was still under the opinion that it wasn’t dangerous,. I wonder if this is where the saying, thick as pig s**t comes from.

I am told by the council parking enforcement that,, And I quote “ it’s not cost effective to come to your road to nick folk for parking on the double yellows as we can make better cash elsewhere. This is not a joke Just the facts.

So much for the Highway Code.

But if the pushchair was to squeeze by down the small gap and take off a nice line of paint :heyhey: Or you needed to get past with a sack truck and did the same?

Theres more than one way to teach someone the error of their ways. A parking ticket is cheaper than a £400 paint job. They wouldn't do it again. Having a little one i find people blocking the pavement for pushchairs really selfish although i couldn't possible condone the behaviour outlined above.

But if the pushchair was to squeeze by down the small gap and take off a nice line of paint :heyhey: Or you needed to get past with a sack truck and did the same?

Theres more than one way to teach someone the error of their ways. A parking ticket is cheaper than a £400 paint job. They wouldn't do it again. Having a little one i find people blocking the pavement for pushchairs really selfish although i couldn't possible condone the behaviour outlined above.

I can, if I'm stupid enough to cause such a problem I would be big enough to accept that sort of punishment.

Explain re their Parking Enforcement van/staff, please.

Parking enforcement staff have no power of arrest; it is technically true that they cannot "nick" you.

They can issue a fine which is legally enforceable in court, and which might land you in jail for refusing to pay it. On the other hand, if the council has openly admitted that it won't bother issuing such fines, people know they can park where they like, legal or no. (I don't know if they actually have done so, hence the "if.")

Is what the OP is saying actually true? I saw this thread earlier when he first posted it and I expected it to have been confirmed untrue by now....but I see it hasn't.

It is a mixture of fact and fantasy.

The police do still have powers to take action with regard to obstruction, dangerous parking etc.

It is not unusual for a 'copper' to be ignorant of the law and the enforcement of it.

It’s now official folks, you can park any place, any time you want. This is fact from the horse’s mouth, police and council. (No Joke) If there is yellow lines and they are not clear with gaps and bits missing you may park as they can only nick you on clearly marked lines. The Police now have no powers to nick you for parking; they have given it all over to Sheffield council FACT. Again from the horse’s mouth, police. You can park on a bend, opposite a junction, on the brow of a hill, on the pavement or in the middle of the road. I have had the police and council down outside our factory where there was folk parked as all the above, one car was parked so far on the pavement he was 2" off the factory wall. The council said they could only nick folk on clearly marked lines and couldn’t enforce any other illegal parking. The Copper said he couldn’t nick anyone for parking at all under any circumstances, sorry I tell a lie he said only if it’s a danger to others, and the woman who had to walk out in to the middle of the road with her pram to get round the one on the pavement was apparently not dangerous enough. Even when I told him that someone often comes past with a white stick and is blind he was still under the opinion that it wasn’t dangerous,. I wonder if this is where the saying, thick as pig s**t comes from.

I am told by the council parking enforcement that,, And I quote “ it’s not cost effective to come to your road to nick folk for parking on the double yellows as we can make better cash elsewhere. This is not a joke Just the facts.

So much for the Highway Code.

The bit about the lines is nothing new, these rules are in the Road Traffic Act 1974. A document that's worthy of reading if you're a motorist.

However for the other stuff I suggest you print a copy of the RTA out and give it to the officer. IIRC you're not supposed to park within so many feet of a junction (can't remember the figure though the back of my mind is sayin 15)

No, no fantasy at all, . I am sure you all know when I say nick I mean had a ticket, fined, told to move on, I don’t think anyone gets arrested for parking . The police have the powers you are correct, but the information I gave was fact, the 2 coppers there at the time thought that totally blocking the pavement was not enough for them to do anything. this has happend at least 3 times different coppers.

It is a mixture of fact and fantasy.

The police do still have powers to take action with regard to obstruction, dangerous parking etc.

It is not unusual for a 'copper' to be ignorant of the law and the enforcement of it.

Archived