Is it acceptable to use bullet points on job applications?

Bullet points are an effective way of listing skills but rarely mean anything to an employer because they looking for conextual information.

Which is what I was referring to. A short paragraph under a bold heading demonstrating how each criterion is evidenced is what most recruiters would be looking at.

Anyone can say that they can do anything, you need an example to back it up.

my CV has been professionally critiqued by a number of organisations and the bullet points have never been picked up as incorrect.

I think that a CV is slightly different to a personal/supporting statement. Where listing skills/experience, I think that bullet points are a good format. Where trying to demonstrate that you meet the person spec/job criteria, you need to expand on each criterion with some evidence.

For example:

Good organisational skills - evidence, ie example of where the applicant has demonstrated good organisational skills

Thing with bullet points is that you can list you skills but you need more than a bullet point to apply them.

Employers don't wanna read

• Can work as part of a team

• Good communication skills

• etc etc bla bla bla

Everyone puts the same things, there's no use in listing these because it's what every single person on earth lists, the same thing, all the time for every job on earth. At least if you write them in part of a paragraph you can apply them to real world examples.

The trick is to get your CV advertised on sites like CV library, My jobs Sheffield, etc, etc, etc. If you do this the employers always approach you, albeit sometimes via an agency who take a fee to find you. I average about 6 phone calls per week from prospective employers. I call them "Job botherers" as I already have a good job. Still, it is good for the ego.:)

The trick is to get your CV advertised on sites like CV library, My jobs Sheffield, etc, etc, etc. If you do this the employers always approach you, albeit sometimes via an agency who take a fee to find you. I average about 6 phone calls per week from prospective employers. I call them "Job botherers" as I already have a good job. Still, it is good for the ego.:)

I think you may be telling porkies................;)

Archived