HMRC job losses have undermined tax collection

The Public Accounts Committee has said that an extra £1.1 billion could have been collected by HMRC if it hadn't made such drastic job losses.

So much for the mantra that slashing jobs leads to greater efficiency and doing "more for less". Maybe this will make people think before they call for wide ranging public sector cuts and job losses.

Not that I'm biased or anything :)

Said it about a year ago. I don't work in the tax office but last year people in our office were saying we have specific targets set by ministers but we can't meet them because of staffing cuts and that's even without the forthcoming 33% additional staffing cuts. It's the same old tories, underfund and under staff the workplace so that it fails and then they try to justification for privatising of the service.

It's good they made improvements. But they're saying a workforce of 26 thousand people isn't enough?

If they're 100% efficient and 26,000 people isn't enough, then perhaps the tax system needs simplifying so there's fewer forms to fill.

The Public Accounts Committee has said that an extra £1.1 billion could have been collected by HMRC if it hadn't made such drastic job losses.

So much for the mantra that slashing jobs leads to greater efficiency and doing "more for less". Maybe this will make people think before they call for wide ranging public sector cuts and job losses.

Not that I'm biased or anything :)

This is a good thing because it means there is now £1.1 billion available to be spent in the economy as opposed to it being flushed down the toilet.

This is a good thing because it means there is now £1.1 billion available to be spent in the economy as opposed to it being flushed down the toilet.

If you're going to troll at least attempt to do it right.

If you're going to troll at least attempt to do it right.

How is that trolling, are you saying the money isn't available to spend in the economy, or are you saying it wouldn't be wasted if the government their grubby hands on it.

How is that trolling, are you saying the money isn't available to spend in the economy, or are you saying it wouldn't be wasted if the government their grubby hands on it.

It's trolling and you know it is. Now stop trying to lure people into stupid pointless arguments.

It's trolling and you know it is. Now stop trying to lure people into stupid pointless arguments.

It’s only trolling to you because you can't disagree with my points.

Government wastes £31bn on 'rip off' contracts

More than £31 billion has been wasted by government departments in the past two years because civil servants lack the skills to negotiate better contracts with the private sector, it emerged last night.

The National Audit Office (NAO) has found widespread waste in welfare schemes, capital projects and farm payments, according to an analysis of 70 reports issued since 2009.

Wrong. The majority of this will be sitting idle in tax havens by now, and be absolutely no good to our economy whatsoever. Which is another reason why it was absolutely stupid to cut the higher tax rate. If the equivalent had been given to those worse off, it would definitely be circulating in our economy, at least for a while before it all landed in the hands of the super rich.

Did anyone see the documentary last week on 'tax loopholes'? They proved the situation is worse than ever it was, thanks to the Condems.

An extra £4.32bn was brought in during the last five years - a return 11 times greater than the investment in a new HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) programme.

Sounds like they've done well at something.

Am I reading this correctly, if the Government had not made an investment in HMRC we would not have even seen this £4.32bn?

PS yes I'm aware that investment would have been done under the previous Labour Government if it was brought in over the last 5 years.

Archived