When will mobility scooter be regulated.

No dont, they should be sold on Doctors recommendation or something. Half the people using them are just too bloody idle to walk.

Get them licensed.

I regularly see one that is more gaffer tape than plastic. Its had that many bumps it looks dangerous.

My dear god, I just hope you never become disabled and have the necessity to use one, I'm sure the users would prefer to walk you know:loopy:

So drink-driving laws seemingly don't apply to them?

(give you a hint, yes they do, they can be charged for it)

Link

(I know it's a local news story from Portmouth but I wanted to avoid the Daily Fail version)

who said they drink.....most have a good day watching the horses....then drive their charriots home....not illegal...just cheaper

So a scooter can be 150 kg with someone weighing up to 20 stone that's about 270kg travelling at up to 8mph on a path, if a child got in the way he/she would get really hurt, so they should be made to go a lot slower.

how do you know that

I have a "road legal" scooter. Front and rear lights, indicators, FREE tax disc and INSURED. Speed variable between 4mph footpath, and 8mph road use. Oh, and a hooter.

I also have a "pavement scooter" much smaller and lighter than the road version, no insurance or lights/indicators, has a hooter - but restricted to 4mph.

Any more questions - please ask.

Angel.

So a scooter can be 150 kg with someone weighing up to 20 stone that's about 270kg travelling at up to 8mph on a path, if a child got in the way he/she would get really hurt, so they should be made to go a lot slower.

Just to confirm - 4mph MAXIMUM allowed on a footpath. My two scooters have a crawl button which when turned down enables them to crawl along at 1mph or even less., Only on turning the button up to maximum will the scooters do 4mph or 8mph on the big road use one.

Angel.

never happen..loads parked outside our boozer....gets the oldies home..and cheaper than a taxi....

A FACT for your mates - you CAN be brethalised while on a scooter, bloody daft law IMHO, but nevertheless it is LAW.

Angel.

No its 4mph on a pavements and upto 8mph on the road. But I do feel that compulsory 3rd party insurance should be a factor for anyone using a scooter on both pavements and the road. Much the same as a cyclist should have insurance aswell, being as they also ride on pavements and the road. (Ready for the backlash to the latter statement)

Archived