Labour and Conservative - do they need each other?

They need each other for our sakes. Without an effective opposition any government can do what they want.

Labour to date hasn't been very effective in opposition, but they do seem to be finding their feet finally.

One says the state is bad

Actually the "Conservative" party supports a nanny state as much as Labour. Who else is going to bail out their friends' companies when they get into trouble?

The kind of market system supported by Conservative Party demands a powerful, eminent state.

The word conservative has a completely different, almost vacuous meaning now. It no longer means small, non-interventionist government that's for sure.

Would the Conservatives ever be returned to power if it wasn't for the terrible political and financial mismanagement of a preceding Labour government? Would Labour ever be returned to power if not for the swinging cuts and economic corrections that needs to be undertaken by a Conservative government after a Labour fiasco leading to devastating social effects? Are they in fact both parasites on the stupidity of the mass of insensate, tribal voters who desire simple answers to complex questions? Could one exist without the other?

Parties lose elections, they don't win them. In 1997 the Tories lost, not because of the cuts they made, but because of the sleaze and brown envelopes they were mired in. They put themselves out of office and Labour lied and lied about how they would get the economy right ................ for once. Elections are little more than unpopularity contests. The least unpopular wins. I think Britain is naturally conservative and only vote Labour when they need to punish the Tories. If the Tories ever get their act together they could be in power forever but they always get arrogant and lazy. Labour, on the other hand, are a dead loss. They are a sort of protest vote but I expect them to do well next time because they have so comprehensively trashed the economy it'll take decades to sort out. The Tories can't do it in 5 years and the drones will register their disapproval by going back to the loons who caused it all.

So, no, they don't need each other. They need to get their act together and have long term aims as well as short term goals. If one party does that they could be there for a while.

Yes is the answer,they use each other to score points even though when they win power they pretty much do the same as the others.

And as been said they are pro EU, for mass immigration,and are in it for what they can get out of it.

Bu they only get to play their games cus the voters are too stupid to see through them and dont think enough at election time.

To answer the OP, It is a FACT that the Tories need the Lib Dems as they will probably never be able to govern again in their own right, which is rather unfortunate for them both as the Lib Dems face the likely prospect of having NO MP's after the next general election!

To answer the OP, It is a FACT that the Tories need the Lib Dems as they will probably never be able to govern again in their own right, which is rather unfortunate for them both as the Lib Dems face the likely prospect of having NO MP's after the next general election!

Who is going to overturn Clegg's 14,000 majority? Labour? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. No more. Please stop I can't take it. It hurts to laugh this much.

So they're expending effort slagging each other off instead?

It's not healthy for Democracy, when we only vote for one party because the alternatives are worse :|

That speaks to the attitude of the average voter, not to the parties.

People are more impressed by talking down my opponent than they ever will be by telling them how great I am. Ergo, if I want to get elected, I will spend as much time as possible rubbishing all the other candidates.

Archived