Who were worse, the Catholics or the Nazis?

Who were historically the most responsible for misery and death?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who were historically the most responsible for misery and death?

• The Catholic Church
    • The Nazis
    • Don't Know
    • Some other group

My wife Pauline was a devout catholic, and when we decided to get married she wanted it ti be in her church. We were then told by the pastor that we had too attend martriage counselling. We were both widowed, she after 8 years of marriage, me after 23 years. When I went to see him, I said I think I know more about a happy marriage than he ever would, and if I'm anything I'm a protestant. The child abuse scandal was the last straw for her, she hasn't been to a catholic church in years.

I too was raised a Catholic and like your wife I was disgusted by the priests in the abuse case. More sinful than that, was the bishops who covered up for them, by moving them from place to place.

My wife Pauline was a devout catholic, and when we decided to get married she wanted it ti be in her church. We were then told by the pastor that we had too attend martriage counselling. We were both widowed, she after 8 years of marriage, me after 23 years. When I went to see him, I said I think I know more about a happy marriage than he ever would, and if I'm anything I'm a protestant. The child abuse scandal was the last straw for her, she hasn't been to a catholic church in years.

I was baptized a Catholic but for years believed I was C of E. All my records in UK show this.

I only found out in later years that I was a Catholic. My wife is a Lutheran but non practicing. Didint matter as we were married in Vegas.

I dont bother with church either. I'm not up to sitting in a box "confessing" to someone half my age sitting in another box next door and the molestation scandals put paid to any prospect of "returning to the fold"

Their limits know no bounds. The lengths they will go to to maintain those limits are legendary.

They've gotten away with a lot thanks to the the hesitation and apparent reluctance of civil authority to intervene and prosecute everyone involved in molestation of these boys... even those who who were not actually molesters yet who knew about it.

It was left to the church to deal with it internally and it was a failure

The cardinal of a diocese in southern California was found during an investigation to have transferred molesting priests to another parish even though he was aware of it at the time.

Did he ever go to jail or subjected to disciplinary action of any sort?

Not on your life. To his devout followers he remained some kind of sacred entity who was capable of walking on water

You missed the Pope's visit then? :hihi:

To be fair the Pope like all boys in Nazi Germany was required to enlist in the Hitler Youth. If you didnt you were thrown in a concentration camp as an enemy of the state.

The Pope's war record shows him serving in an anti-aircraft battery as a member of a gun crew.

Hardly right therefore to classifiy him as a Nazi IMO

Oooooh a new contender for the most moronic thread on Sheffield Form - and it has to be the bookies favourite!

How is it 'moronic'? The comment came up in a Facebook group and I had not made the comparison previously. There have been some thought-provoking comments made.

My history is patchy at best but I know it got very bloody when Henry VIII parted company with the Catholic franchise Mary had 280 dissenters burnt at the stake.

Both regeimes considered that they were acting for the 'common good' of their people and could only operate their ideologies if people were willing to carry them out. The renowned psychologist, Alice Miller wrote a fascinating biography of Hitler and the trends in child-rearing in Germany that produced a generation of people who would do exactly what they were told to, without questioning it. "Spare the rod and spoil the child" ideology.

Are there similarities to be drawn in how the Catholic church placed the sanctity of its child-raping priests above all else? What motivated people like Brady, despite knowing the truth, to do nothing at best and at worst, to be complicit in spreading the abuse to new parishes.

Archived