Kemsley House Tower

I don't know if anybody has ever brought this topic up before and if my memory is correct, does anyone remember Kemsley House before the war having the news running around the tower electronicaly? To be precise it had many rows of lights being activated to form words, i'm assuming it stopped because of the wartime blackout, if this is correct did it ever start up again after the war? How sophisticated was it? it's my thinking that the grid like structure around the tower was never removed, or at least there for a long time.

• 2 months later...
I don't know if anybody has ever brought this topic up before and if my memory is correct, does anyone remember Kemsley House before the war having the news running around the tower electronicaly? to be precsise it was many rows of lights being activated to form words, i'm assuming it stopped because of the wartime blackout, if this is correct did it ever start up again after the war? How sophisticated was it? it's my thinking that the grid like structure around the tower was never removed, or at least there for a long time.

Does anybody have proof of this or some reference to a picture of somekind that still exists.

Does anybody have proof of this or some reference to a picture of somekind that still exists.

I vaguely remember seeing the lights running round the tower

this would have been in the late 40s early 50s

The tower still exists much as it always was.

There are plenty of photos on line, but cannot find one with the

running lights, link below has plenty of photos just search Kemsley House.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/

I vaguely remember seeing the lights running round the tower

this would have been in the late 40s early 50s

The tower still exists much as it always was.

There are plenty of photos on line, but cannot find one with the

running lights, link below has plenty of photos just search Kemsley House.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/

Hi bazjea - You have confirmed it did exist and like you I agree the time frame is about correct, I'm assuming it was there before the war stopping for obvious reasons. It seems to me you saw this type of thing in London and the like and certainly in New York.

Archived