Declaring unspent convictions

Disregarding jobs with children and vulnerable people...

As employers need strict permission from individuals if they wish to perform a CRB check, realisitcally what's stopping that individual from saying they have no convictions even if they have? Seeing as the employer doesn't have a way of knowing if they are lying anyway.

If the company want to do a CRB but the individual says no then that would ring alarm bells .. well for me it would...but there's nothing to stop people lying but there could be consequences if they're found out

Indeed. But no matter how many alarm bells it rings, if the individual says no, then they say no, what can they do.

I have just received my regular CRB for work and it got me thinking. For example, what's to stop a convicted recent burglar from simply applying for a job in somewhere like Asda and just ticking 'no' in the convictions box. It seems unlikely that they would or could ever find out. At least not very easily or legally.

Indeed. But no matter how many alarm bells it rings, if the individual says no, then they say no, what can they do.

I have just received my regular CRB for work and it got me thinking. For example, what's to stop a convicted recent burglar from simply applying for a job in somewhere like Asda and just ticking 'no' in the convictions box. It seems unlikely that they would or could ever find out. At least not very easily or legally.

What's to stop anyone lying about anything on a CV/application? If a company want a CRB check as part of the application process then by not allowing it the prospective employee has more or less counted themselves out..

I would imagine the job description would say that the applicant would be expected to undergo a CRB check.

Ergo, if you're not willing, you don't match the criteria and should not apply.

And if you don't sign the application form it would just go in the bin.

Most jobs don't ask for CRB checks though. That's the point.

So pretty much anybody could tick 'no' when applying for these jobs knowing that a CRB check isn't part of the application process. Once they have got the job then their privacy is protected and they can't then be forced to give one anyway.

Most jobs don't ask for CRB checks though. That's the point.

So pretty much anybody could tick 'no' when applying for these jobs knowing that a CRB check isn't part of the application process. Once they have got the job then their privacy is protected and they can't then be forced to give one anyway.

If a company doesn't ask for a CRB then they're obviously not too bothered...maybe their interview/post interview procedures will sort the wheat from the chaff..using references etc...any gaps in employment history (prison?) will be questioned...are you advocating CRB checks for all jobs?

No not at all. Personally I think CRB's shouldn't be part of the recruitment process whatsoever even when working with children, but that's a whole different topic.

I suppose all they prove is that someone hasn't been caught yet... :)

Archived