Pubs around Dronfield

Just an idea, but if you go on the bus rather than the train the Stagecoach 43 is a good bus and a Stagecoach Sheffield Dayrider ticket (£3.40 bus only or £3.90 bus and tram) includes Dronfield.

The 43 bus will drop you off outside the Coach & Horses, Jolly Farmer and Three Tuns. From the Three Tuns its a 5 minute walk to the Dronfield Arms (or catch 44/44A bus).

To return to Sheffield the 44/44A bus picks up almost outside the pub or you can walk up to the fire station to get the 43.

pub websites: http://www.dronfieldarms.co.uk http://www.spirebrewery.co.uk/threetuns.html http://www.mycoachandhorses.co.uk

buses: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/sheffield

map of Dronfield town showing bus routes: http://www.derbysbus.info/images/drnfield.pdf

Thanks, Andy/Wobbler-we had a good afternoon out. Dronfield Arms beer garden must be a favourite with trainspotters. Train was only £3 return, so Sheffield Tap got two visits.

Dronfield boasts some very good pubs. Although Dronfield is quite small, the pubs are scattered throughout the four corners of the town, involving a fair amount of walking if you plan to visit several of them in one day. I've been to several around the centre of the town and close to the Hilltop area.

The top of the pile for me in undoubtedly the Three Tuns. David and Sarah keep the pub very well and are very welcoming and friendly. I am a big fan of Spire beer and David has produced some exceptional beers, many of which are permanent fixtures on the Three Tuns' bar. The bar houses 12 cask pumps, a trio of Bernard lager taps and a few other electric pumps (one of which is Warsteiner, which is a favourite lager of mine). The food is good and the small but wisely chosen snack offering provides adequate grazing to accompany a pint. I live only ten minutes away and it's a good job that I'm fairly strict when it comes to healthy living otherwise I'd be a borderline alcoholic with this place on my doorstep. If you like real ale, this is without doubt the place to visit in Dronfield.

Another good pub is the newly opened Dronfield Arms. I don't frequent this place as much as the Three Tuns but it's a reasonable place to get a good pint (decent real ale selection with a few continental lagers). I'm not a huge fan of the 'cold' decor of the Dronfield Arms, but I wouldn't let this distract from the fact that it's a well kept pub with a good offering of ales. Like the Three Tuns, it's clearly a pub where the landlord makes an effort.

Another fixture on the Dronfield real ale scene is the Coach & Horses. I used to be a weekly regular in this pub during an 18 month spell playing for Sheffield FC. The pub is attached to the ground and it's fair to say that it's improved significantly since the days when I used to have after-match drinks and snacks. It's been a Thornbridge pub for some years now - nicely decorated with a good Thornbridge ale selection - however my political views on A4E and its frankly nauseating majority shareholder restrict my visits to this pub to only a few occasions per year.

The closest pub to my house is the Hyde Park Inn situated in the Hilltop area of Dronfield. The food has been excellent on the three or four times I have eaten there. The pub is let down by its disappointing beer selection, although it is one of the few places where you can get Carling Premier. This isn't my kind of drink, but it does take me back to the days of drinking in town as a 16 year old and silently celebrating every time you were served alcohol despite being under age. I will shamefully admit to ordering the odd novelty pint of Carling Premier for memory's sake whilst visiting this pub. The pub has made an effort with its beer garden over the past year, but given that it backs onto the A61 Dronfield by-pass, there's always the uncomfortable racket of A road traffic filling the air.

The Manor House is another place I have visited. This is probably regarded as Dronfield's 'trendiest' drinking establishment and tends to attract a 25-45 crowd. The tapas is decent but the bar selection lacks any kind of originality, with the usual array of often-seen lagers. It gets reasonably lively and on a recent Dronfield bar crawl with friends, this was the bar we went to last before heading into Sheffield.

A stone's throw from the Manor House is The Blue Stoops and also the Green Dragon. These pubs couldn't be more 'bog-standard' if they tried. Uninspiring and in need of an upgrade. Best avoided.

There's quite a few I have not mentioned, simply because I haven't visited them and I wouldn't want to cast an opinion on something I haven't tried. Dronfield Woodhouse has several pubs (I'm told the Jolly Farmer is ok) and the Coal Aston side of the Valley also has several (non of which I have visited).

For its size, Dronfield punches above its weight where good pubs are concerned. The Three Tuns, The Dronfield Arms and the Coach and Horses are very good pubs (the Three Tuns being exceptional in my opinion). The Hyde Park Inn offers good food and a nice atmosphere and The Manor House is reasonable if you want a livelier night out. You'd also be hard pressed to find any trouble in the pubs I've mentioned.

The green dragon is the best, only 5 mins up the road from the train station, also the blue stoops, head towards the sports centre

Kev,

no it's not.

Both these pubs are a bit tired and run down and don't offer anywhere near the selection of quality beers on offer elsewhere in Dronfield.

Kev,

no it's not.

Both these pubs are a bit tired and run down and don't offer anywhere near the selection of quality beers on offer elsewhere in Dronfield.

The Green Dragon is mediocre. Not the worst pub in the world by any stretch, but not one you'd make a point of visiting either.

The Manor House is really not to my taste at all.

And the Blue Stoops is just a terrible pub that I would very much advise against visiting.

Can't say one way or the other about the Victoria as I haven't been in there for a long while.

Still, 3 Valleys festival on Saturday for the good stuff! :D

Archived