Shame and Religion

Is it only the religious who can feel the sense of shame  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is it only the religious who can feel the sense of shame

• Yes
    • No

I will say this once and once only - keep it civil please. If this descends into bickering and insults then ALL the participants will get suspensions.

Last night i got into a conversation with another member.

I commented that some people bring shame on their families and themselves.

It was suggested on that now deleted thread that shame is purely a religious thing and if you feel shame for someone elses actions then you're stuck in the dark ages and defiantly religious.

So is that the case? Can only religious people feel the sense of shame and if so is it a bad thing and can the atheists learn something from the religious?

Atheists cannot learn anything from religious people, except how not to live their lives. Shame is an emotion that the humans have acquired through the process of evolution as a behavioural modifier that benefits the group, thereby imparting selective advantage to the group. Religion makes use of shame, and guilt, in order to control the weak minds of its membership. Atheists can rationalise guilt and shame, and are not crippled by it in the same way that religious people are, but it does have a major impact on our behaviour nonetheless.

Not sure if disagreeing with the op will count as bickering so let me start by saying I agree with everything you wrote :). Except that....

Shame is a natural human emotion. If people didn't feel shame, they wouldn't be human. But it should follow a misdemeanor not precede it.

Projecting thoughts of family honour and shame on to children in the hope that it will make them better people is a ridiculous idea in my opinion. Also seems to be a very religious notion used as a means of control. And when these beliefs are taken to the extreme you end up with shotgun weddings, acid thrown in wives faces and parents killing their children after being raped to save their honour/prevent shame.

I also think the general public, in this country especially, would benefit far more from an increase in pride and self worth than they would from "enforced shame".

The feelings of shame and guilt are universal, however, the causes of some may be rooted in religion and that religion may govern the actions that follow as a result. We have a conscience which I suppose acts a moral compass and is there to keep certain behaviours in check. Cultural, social and religious norms and values will instil these even further.

Archived