Possible fines for failing to register to vote

It has always been a criminal offence to fail to, or to inaccurately, fill in an electoral registration form.

The last time I noticed, the fine for that offence was £1,000.

You know I'd completely forgotten that, we really need a facepalm smiley.

This will have to do :blush:

Looks like a fair enough idea. The way it gets implemented is very important though. We live in a democracy and we want as many people as possible to vote. If the mechanism for registration in any way causes the registered number of voters to decline then it will be anti-democratic and there will be no point in doing it.

Get the registration mechanism right and this could be a very good and positive thing.

You know I'd completely forgotten that, we really need a facepalm smiley.

This will have to do :blush:

Well, you could still reasonably argue that you disagree with it being a fine-able offence; but you would be arguing for something to be removed, not arguing against it being introduced. That's all.

Ahhh never considered that - Surely they could do it with multiple forms though?

Personally I don't think it will be much of a discouragement, but I assume it's this latter type of fraud that they are trying to discourage. It's obviously useless against the type of fraud you mentioned.

I suspect that it will achieve nothing except to increase the amount of bureaucracy in the world.

Archived