3D Printing: The Future Is Now

Is it just a coincidence there's a disproportionate amount of contributors who have an interest in 3d technology on this forum that have 'Jay' in their name:hihi:

jaycee331, how does the reprap fair in comparison to the commercially available home setups?

......or is that a how is a piece of string type question?

Bloody hell, I never even noticed that :roll:

the only thing that bothers me about 3d printing is right now it would be much cheaper to get something exactly the same out of metal done using a cnc machine which is programmed . personally i cant see 3d being used in the home, but people said the same about pc's........so......

Is it just a coincidence there's a disproportionate amount of contributors who have an interest in 3d technology on this forum that have 'Jay' in their name:hihi:

jaycee331, how does the reprap fair in comparison to the commercially available home setups?

......or is that a how long is a piece of string type question?

:D LOL!

I can't claim to have used any, or could compare commercial to DIY. I've just been following the subject for a couple of years as a hobbyist (translation: geek) interest. I've stumbled across commercial grade prototyping machines in the 30k-60k bracket. But even those can only print a single object from a single material, they just use different materials and different techiques, such as laser cutting as mentioned on the Sky piece. Then it just becomes about scale, as you can only print an object as big as the frame of the machine and the DIY options tend to be smaller machines.

From what I've read, the big issue with the Reprap is the printing resolution. A lot of the printed objects have visible streaks across them where the layers were built up. I think a lot of Repraps work on a 0.5mm per layer resolution. But the Reprap is constantly developing and people tuning them all the time.

You can buy build your own RepRap kits for around 1k. Probably half that if you source the components yourself or know someone with a 3D printer to make some of the parts. That's why I thought it was such a shame that Sky News did not draw attention to the fact that this stuff is accessible to the home enthusiast. I am certain that a Reprap could print that Ford Model-T car model shown on Sky without any trouble.

The B9Creator is very interesting. Different tech. altogether. The RepRap prints by squirting out melted plastic, and building the object layer by layer.

The B9 is a different principle altogether. It uses a photo sensitive resin and it actually has no printing parts as such. You have a pool of resin which a DLP projector flashes at (presumably emitting an image of a single layer of an object with each flash), and you actually see a full object form and pop out of a pool of liquid goo, like something out of a Sci-Fi film! You can buy a ready built B9 for about 3.5k USD.

The future is definitely exciting. But I think we are a very VERY long way away from being able to print a fully functional object like a mobile phone. The mind boggles at the mix of materials required to print such a thing (plastic, glass, copper etc) and how any one machine could bring all that together. And given that the circuits inside silicon chips are nano scale, I doubt anyone will be printing full blown electronics anytime soon. That stuff really is far in the future IMHO, but for printing plastic cars and plastic doll's, that is available right here right now to the home user if it takes your fancy!

I can't claim to have used any, or could compare commercial to DIY. I've just been following the subject for a couple of years as a hobbyist (translation: geek) interest. I've stumbled across commercial grade prototyping machines in the 30k-60k bracket. But even those can only print a single object from a single material, they just use different materials and different techiques, such as laser cutting as mentioned on the Sky piece. Then it just becomes about scale, as you can only print an object as big as the frame of the machine and the DIY options tend to be smaller machines.

From what I've read, the big issue with the Reprap is the printing resolution. A lot of the printed objects have visible streaks across them where the layers were built up. I think a lot of Repraps work on a 0.5mm per layer resolution. But the Reprap is constantly developing and people tuning them all the time.

You can buy build your own RepRap kits for around 1k. Probably half that if you source the components yourself or know someone with a 3D printer to make some of the parts. That's why I thought it was such a shame that Sky News did not draw attention to the fact that this stuff is accessible to the home enthusiast. I am certain that a Reprap could print that Ford Model-T car model shown on Sky without any trouble.

The B9Creator is very interesting. Different tech. altogether. The RepRap prints by squirting out melted plastic, and building the object layer by layer.

The B9 is a different principle altogether. It uses a photo sensitive resin and it actually has no printing parts as such. You have a pool of resin which a DLP projector flashes at (presumably emitting an image of a single layer of an object with each flash), and you actually see a full object form and pop out of a pool of liquid goo, like something out of a Sci-Fi film! You can buy a ready built B9 for about 3.5k USD.

The future is definitely exciting. But I think we are a very VERY long way away from being able to print a fully functional object like a mobile phone. The mind boggles at the mix of materials required to print such a thing (plastic, glass, copper etc) and how any one machine could bring all that together. And given that the circuits inside silicon chips are nano scale, I doubt anyone will be printing full blown electronics anytime soon. That stuff really is far in the future IMHO, but for printing plastic cars and plastic doll's, that is available right here right now to the home user if it takes your fancy!

Having said all that, do you think that if you told someone 20 years ago that you could message, share files and video conference with someone on the other side of the world in seconds while receiving text/video messages on your mobile phone which in fact can be used to buy products, send video messages, take photos and have apps that can operate your household appliances, you would say dream on. Even the thought of having a talking device in your car giving you directions like a satnav would have been extremely far fetched 15 years ago, these things can hit a chord and am sure some day a business on the high street will start selling these things in a shop window and the flood gates will open.

lol ......... I misread :-

We have Reprap, Makerbot, and B9Creator (that looks awesome! Now we're talking, 0.1mm layer resolution) to name but three

.........as you actually having them:hihi::blush:

3D Printing: The Future Is..... actually quite old :roll:

3D printing has been around a long time, I don't know why Sky have made a story out of it. I can see how it may be interesting to those who haven't heard of it before though.

That would also eliminate capitalism to a certain extent, I mean, why spend money in shops that will eventually go to the banks, when you can make your own products at home, these things will never be aired on the news because of their own corrupt structures.

People already can make their own stuff at home, and they do it too. But at the end of the day, whether you're using a project box, whittling things out of wood, casting plastic or 3D printing, it may be functional... but it will look home made and probably cost more in time and materials than just going and buying one from a shop.

the only thing that bothers me about 3d printing is right now it would be much cheaper to get something exactly the same out of metal done using a cnc machine which is programmed . personally i cant see 3d being used in the home, but people said the same about pc's........so......

Precisely, 3D printing has been around for a while, but CNC machining has been around much longer. It is much more efficient and can make things more precisely, out of sturdier materials. 3D printing will never revolutionise the manufacturing industry. At best it may be used for prototyping (if they can speed it up!). Most likely, it will remain the tool of hobbyists and home engineers.

You can't

for 3D manufacturing efficiency and accuracy really.

Ahh apologies for the confusing wording NorthernStar. I see how that could have read how you read it.

Jay of the Primal - I don't disagree at all. Things certainly move on and yes, I've no doubt that the inconceivable will in time become entirely possible as so many things before. I just think it's quite a leap to go from a printed chunk of plastic to a complex device in the short term.

Would still be cool though to be able to print household objects like a coat hook, toilet roll holder, car phone bracket etc, simple practical objects at your own whim to your own design and specification.

So I just wanted to share the knowledge that in spite of the Sky story, this hasn't just sprung up overnight. Infact the Wiki on 3d Printing says these kind of technologies have been around with industrial grade machines since 2003. So they're only 9 years late on their reporting :) And you sure as heck don't need to be a professor in a university lab (like Sky showed) to access affordable 3d printers capable of printing the kind of objects they were showing.

I assume cnc machining is something like a programmable lathe?

A CNC lathe is limited to 2 axis really, but yes. A CNC miller can have 3,4,5,6,7 and maybe more axis.

EDIT: CNC Lathes can have more axis, I was wrong, they are more limited than millers though.

A CNC lathe is limited to 2 axis really, but yes. A CNC miller can have 3,4,5,6,7 and maybe more axis.

EDIT: CNC Lathes can have more axis, I was wrong, they are more limited than millers though.

That's awesome Roots!

Could that same process carve an object from a chunk of plastic?

I'm just wondering why 3d printing is getting all the attention at the moment.

Do you think it's because CNC mills are less accessible to the home user?

That's awesome Roots!

Could that same process carve an object from a chunk of plastic?

Yes, and it is, regularly

I'm just wondering why 3d printing is getting all the attention at the moment.

Do you think it's because CNC mills are less accessible to the home user?

I think mainly because a Sky news reporter came across something THEY had never heard of before so decided it would make a good filler story!

As for home use, something like this mini-mill would set you back between £40k - £60k, depending on the spec you require. Nobody at home needs something like this though.

For a hobbyist, the cheapest option would be to build your own, some examples are

and
(this last one being the cheapest option, made out of Lego. Seriously!). If you are interested you should google CNC DIY forums.

I believe there are also some companies or individuals producing budget CNC machines like

Archived