Can you identify this stone/mineral?

When I was a young lad I used to go digging around in the garden and yard like kids did back then (no Playstation in those days) :D

Quite often I'd find what I called 'Lucky Stones' - they were a light olive greenish colour, and rough, but where they'd been broken they had a smooth and glass like surface. Here you could see swirls or streaks of another colour, usually green or black I think....

As stated above they often appeared to be broken, but it's really hard to imagine what could break these tough, dense things, not us kids anyway.

They were about 3 inch in size, and this was in West Yorkshire.

Any help appreciated :)

Thanks Loncol.

The search results put me in mind of the stuff I used to dig up, but nothing is identical. There again there seem to be so many sorts of Olivine!

The stuff I found was glassy and opaque.

In the search I came across Olivine Sand for Foundry and I remember the sub surface of the yard was a sort of black gravelly slag, maybe a foundry bi product, so maybe the 'lucky stones' got mixed in with that...

Thanks Loncol.

The search results put me in mind of the stuff I used to dig up, but nothing is identical. There again there seem to be so many sorts of Olivine!

The stuff I found was glassy and opaque.

In the search I came across Olivine Sand for Foundry and I remember the sub surface of the yard was a sort of black gravelly slag, maybe a foundry bi product, so maybe the 'lucky stones' got mixed in with that...

Glassy and opaque, any chance it could be glass

Archived