Syrian Massacre

Hezbollah and Iran are behind a lot of the chaos.

Why would Iran be behind causing chaos to Assad's regime? Assad is Iran's top ally and Hezbollah under Iranian control.

Iran has everything to lose if Assad is toppled

More than likely some of the Syrian rebels could be members of Al Qaeda however

Now the Syrians are kicking off because Hague has said they can't play in our Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18230869

Sounds fair enough:

Meanwhile, a senior Arab League official said that Syria has denied permission for a deputy of UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan to travel to Damascus.

The official said that Syria "made clear" that the decision against former Palestinian foreign minister Nasser al-Kidwa "was not personal, but rather because it did not want to deal with the Arab League."

FWIW, the IOC can shout until they are blue in the face about the Syrian athletes ban (if it is implemented): the Olympic Charter does not 'trump' national sovereignty.

We (Western Powers) unfortunately will never be in the right on this issue. If we come to the aid of these people with a military intervention, the world's Muslims and our own left wing would be up in arms about more "Western interference" and "imperialism".

If we allow it to continue, those same people criticise our inaction as more innocent lives are lost.

I agree that whether the West invoke military action or not, there will be criticism from the public ('You stood by and did nothing') or radical Muslims ('You killed Muslims').

However, in this situation, I am in favour of a limited military intervention similar to what happened in Libya. Strikes against Assad's forces might cause them to think twice before attacking their own people and it could bring Assad round to the negotiating table.

I can't help but think NATO inaction in the face of Russia and China's veto is giving Assad the green light to kill his own civilians.

We (Western Powers) unfortunately will never be in the right on this issue. If we come to the aid of these people with a military intervention, the world's Muslims and our own left wing would be up in arms about more "Western interference" and "imperialism".

If we allow it to continue, those same people criticise our inaction as more innocent lives are lost.

Oh I don't know. Al Qaeda, Saudi wahabists, and "the allies" are rooting for the same people here - the northern seccessionists. Next time you run into HRH Turki Al Faisal, you might want to ask him how much money he is funnelling into the armed insurrection in Syria, and why?

Assad is a well educated moderniser, boxed in by strong military advisers left over from his fathers reign. Isolating him and ostracising the regime isn't going to bring about any kind of a beneficial outcome.

Funding the poltical islamic rebellion seems to be the very antithesis of 'allied' policies elsewhere.

I expect Assad wishes he had bought British, like the Saudis did.

Why would Iran be behind causing chaos to Assad's regime? Assad is Iran's top ally and Hezbollah under Iranian control.

Iran has everything to lose if Assad is toppled

More than likely some of the Syrian rebels could be members of Al Qaeda however

I hear the rebellion is funded in large part by wealthy Saudis.

Assad is a well educated moderniser, boxed in by strong military advisers left over from his fathers reign. Isolating him and ostracising the regime isn't going to bring about any kind of a beneficial outcome.

This is one one things I can't understand, Assad is well educated, studied in London and has a British wife (British born and raised, Syrian parents) so you'd expect be "Western leaning", but most of all he is an eye surgeon, how can somebody trained to treat people preside over all this death?

This is one one things I can't understand, Assad is well educated, studied in London so you'd expect be "Western leaning", but most of all he is an eye surgeon, how can somebody trained to treat people preside over all this death?

There is a fine and noble history of Doctors being murderers.

Archived