Syrian Massacre

This is one one things I can't understand, Assad is well educated, studied in London and has a British wife (British born and raised, Syrian parents) so you'd expect be "Western leaning", but most of all he is an eye surgeon, how can somebody trained to treat people preside over all this death?

I think Assad is credited with having a great deal more power than he actually has. Focusing on Assad is a mistake, I think he could have been a really modernising influence on the country, given time. That p[articular bridge, of course, has been well and truly incinerated.

The 'allies' dream of velvet revolutions in the ME, where the despots they don't do business with are all deposed and replaced by liberal western intellectual government.

The despots they do do business with are of course, quietly brushed under the carpet with mutterings about "jobs" and "prosperity".

But the irony of being on the same side as the islamic political militants seems to have escaped Clinton, Hague et al.

Anyone picked up on this - http://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2012/05/29/bbc-uses-fake-photo-for-houla-massacre.html

The BBC using pictures from Iraq 2003 for a story on the syrian killings. Cant trust the beeb..

On the basis of a subeditorial website **** up you conclude the the entire BBC cannot be trusted?

Blimey.

On the basis of a subeditorial website **** up you conclude the the entire BBC cannot be trusted?

Blimey.

No on the basis of several **** ups that i have seen, varying in size, i opt to treat them with suspicion.

Blimey.

Fairly major cockup on their lead story though? Does suggest a very poor news gathering oversight process which cannot help but damage trust.

It's time the middle east countries took on the job of solving their own problems. There is no enthusiasm in the US for any kind of intervention, not even a Libyan style intervention.

Syria is not Libya. The Syrian military are equipped with a sophisticated air defence system provided by the Russians so it would be no pushover to first neutralize this air defence and then take on the job of degrading the Syrian ground forces.

There's no more money for a war anyway and certainly not at a time when politicians are taking of cutting domestic programs to reduce the national deficit

No on the basis of several **** ups that i have seen, varying in size, i opt to treat them with suspicion.

Does this cast any doubt on the massacre - are the pictures of the right massacre important to you? Has this mistake been rectified?

Do you think Strategic Culture Foundation is a more or less trustworthy newsgathering organisation than the BBC?

Fairly major cockup on their lead story though? Does suggest a very poor news gathering oversight process which cannot help but damage trust.

It's on a par with playing the wrong national anthem at a prizegiving, or calling Jeremy Hunt a **** by accident. It's not really credible evidence of anything more than common wuckfittery.

Archived