Car insurance- Are you covered?

Recently a friend of mine told me they do more annual milage than what they declare on their car insurance. They have told the insurance company they do 8000 miles a year but actually they do more than double this. I suggested they may not be covered but they thought I was kidding them, this is not so.

When I insuranced my car I told my insurance company that I walked to work so didnt need to insure my car for work. I do walk to work but after a week or so I thought there may be a time that I go to work in my car for example if the weather was bad or if I was visiting a friend straight after work so I decided to change it. It didnt cost anymore money!

Is it worth saving a few pounds not to be insured? I think not. Does anyone else have stories?

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/what-happens-if-i-lie-on-my-car-insurance-policy

Recently a friend of mine told me they do more annual milage than what they declare on their car insurance. They have told the insurance company they do 8000 miles a year but actually they do more than double this. I suggested they may not be covered but they thought I was kidding them, this is not so.

When I insuranced my car I told my insurance company that I walked to work so didnt need to insure my car for work. I do walk to work but after a week or so I thought there may be a time that I go to work in my car for example if the weather was bad or if I was visiting a friend straight after work so I decided to change it. It didnt cost anymore money!

Is it worth saving a few pounds not to be insured? I think not. Does anyone else have stories?

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/what-happens-if-i-lie-on-my-car-insurance-policy

In my last job (where I was employed) I had to commute to Manchester and so I was clocking up about 20,000 miles a year and as a censequence my insurance premium went up by £450

I ask why it had gone up, and they said that "the more miles you do the more you pay as you are more of a risk" and that it was something new that many insurance companies were bringing in (this was 2010)

As I was no longer commuting to Manchester on a daily basis for work, my milage went down to about 7.000 miles a year, and so my insurance dropped back by £400.

Seems unfair to punish the workers, its getting to a point where workers will no longer be able to afford to go to work.

Very wise OP!

Couple of other ones to watch out for.

SDP (including commuting to and from a place a work) does not cover any other onward work journeys. Using your personal vehicle to travel between work offices, or going on a training course - anything other than to/from your "normal" place of work and you wouldn't be covered. And if you do say Avon or Ann Summers parties for a bit of extra cash, you're carrying commercial goods for sale in your vehicle and using it for business, so again, uninsured.

And of course any undisclosed accidents/incidents. Ever had a minor/no damage bump and both drivers agreed no big deal and walk away? Haven't we all? :blush: It's quite scary, because if the other party later change their mind and inform their insurers, or spot some damage they didn't at the time, and you don't, well... if it doesn't come up straight away they'll sure as heck bring this up if you need to claim and invalidate your policy.

I had an issue once where someone reversed into me whilst I was sat in the car and smashed a headlight. The repair cost was less than the excess, so no point claiming whatsoever, and hey it wasn't my fault, no claim and fixed out of my own pocket. But I still had to report it, because I couldn't take the risk that the other party would.

As all insurers all input into a database shared by all insurers, there's nowhere to hide. Costs me about £40/yr extra to add business use to my policy and for the peace of mind, it's worth every penny.

I used to declare "up to 10,000 miles a year". Then my circumstances changed and my commute got longer so I changed it to "up to 12,000".

I was surprised to see my premium went down.

I tried "14,000", found it went down again - right the way to 16,000 before it started to go back up. We're not talking much, about £40 in all, but its still £40 in my pocket rather than theirs.

Now I always check the differences before renewing. After all I'm not doing anything wrong. My 12,000 miles a year is still within their "upto 16,000"

I tell my insurance that i do 10,000 miles per year. I actually only do about 8,000.

But just out of interest, how would the insurance company ever find out if you'd lied about how many miles you did? No insurance company has ever asked me how many miles my car has got on the clock. So how could they possibly work out how many miles you've done in a year??

I used to declare "up to 10,000 miles a year". Then my circumstances changed and my commute got longer so I changed it to "up to 12,000".

I was surprised to see my premium went down.

I tried "14,000", found it went down again - right the way to 16,000 before it started to go back up. We're not talking much, about £40 in all, but its still £40 in my pocket rather than theirs.

Now I always check the differences before renewing. After all I'm not doing anything wrong. My 12,000 miles a year is still within their "upto 16,000"

I'll have to try this next time, mine's currently low mileage policy as my car is only really used at weekends, I've always just made the assumption that it's cheaper.

I tell my insurance that i do 10,000 miles per year. I actually only do about 8,000.

But just out of interest, how would the insurance company ever find out if you'd lied about how many miles you did? No insurance company has ever asked me how many miles my car has got on the clock. So how could they possibly work out how many miles you've done in a year??

Your mot test centre notes your mileage, these are available online i believe,to the police at least.It's not beyond the realms of possibility they could request sight of your certificates.

(Some civilian employees of the police HAVE to have insurance which covers business mileage as they don't count travel to other stations as travelling to work.So you could get nicked for travelling to the nick.)

Never lie or tell any half truths to insurance companies.

They only use it as a way to not pay.

Absolutely true!

Some daft bint who had a previous conviction for fraud found this out the hard way...

Her insurance company refused to pay out after her house was burned down, because she never declared the conviction :o

Archived