Car insurance- Are you covered?

Your mot test centre notes your mileage, these are available online i believe,to the police at least.It's not beyond the realms of possibility they could request sight of your certificates.

Of course! I never thought of that!

When I renewed my insurance the other day, one of the terms and conditions was that claims would not be payed out if the insured driver has ANY alcohol present in his/her blood at the time of an accident, regardless of the drink/drive legal limit.

Is this a new thing or have I just never noticed it before?

I tell my insurance that i do 10,000 miles per year. I actually only do about 8,000.

But just out of interest, how would the insurance company ever find out if you'd lied about how many miles you did? No insurance company has ever asked me how many miles my car has got on the clock. So how could they possibly work out how many miles you've done in a year??

Also if it is a new car and doesn't need testing for 3 years you will be having it serviced so they can check service history

Also if it is a new car and doesn't need testing for 3 years you will be having it serviced so they can check service history

How will the insurers know which garage (out of the thousands across Britain) to check with? There's no national database (as yet) of service history records. Some manufacturers have started to implement their own online service record systems, but it's in the early stages and not mandatory.

Recently a friend of mine told me they do more annual milage than what they declare on their car insurance. They have told the insurance company they do 8000 miles a year but actually they do more than double this. I suggested they may not be covered but they thought I was kidding them, this is not so.

When I insuranced my car I told my insurance company that I walked to work so didnt need to insure my car for work. I do walk to work but after a week or so I thought there may be a time that I go to work in my car for example if the weather was bad or if I was visiting a friend straight after work so I decided to change it. It didnt cost anymore money!

Is it worth saving a few pounds not to be insured? I think not. Does anyone else have stories?]Quote.

After reading this post this morning, I decided to phone my insurers up and lower the yearly mileage on my car. Over the past 12 years I have had the mileage set at upto 100,000 miles on my policy (yes thats right 100,000 miles) reason for this was because I did voluntary work and did manage in excess of 50,000 a year. As the voluntary work has now stopped I decided to lower the mileage down to 10,000 a year, they quoted £43 a year less on the policy if I did no more than 12.000 miles a year., just not worth altering it.

Your mot test centre notes your mileage, these are available online i believe,to the police at least.It's not beyond the realms of possibility they could request sight of your certificates.

(Some civilian employees of the police HAVE to have insurance which covers business mileage as they don't count travel to other stations as travelling to work.So you could get nicked for travelling to the nick.)

It's entirely possible that someone else drives the car under a different policy though... It would be very difficult to try to prove that the mileage was all down to the driver in question.

When I renewed my insurance the other day, one of the terms and conditions was that claims would not be payed out if the insured driver has ANY alcohol present in his/her blood at the time of an accident, regardless of the drink/drive legal limit.

Is this a new thing or have I just never noticed it before?

That's something to watch out for. Cheeky robbing *********s! Thanks for the heads up.

Archived