Anybody been to Cuba?

Originally posted by tinajones

I went backpacking/hitchhiking round the entire island in Feb/March 2002. Ask any questions you want...

The forums very own Judith Chalmers;) has spoken.

Thanks tinajones I have PM'd you.

Thanks for the PM mikey - unfortunately it wouldn't let me send it, as it was too long... so here it is!

I had an amazing time - its like being in a time warp 'cos everything is 1950's. You must take a camera!

I felt safe. Its a racist country but the more pale you are the more rich/better class people think you are. Havana and some beach areas are swarming with tourist police and will arrest darker skinned (African origin) people for talking to you about the fidel situation etc. If people talk to you they often want to be your guide - and get paid for it, but they are harmless. Still, watch your bags.

I wasn't impresses with the cusine - bland and samey. Except for banana chips, ice cream and a seafood dish i had. There are so many trade barriers on cuba that they don't have many spices but in tourist areas its prob ok.

Prices vary, you will be expected to pay for everything in dollars which works out quite expensive. Pesos are hard to come by unless you are a crusty traveller.

Take some suncream. Don't get on any bi-planes, they are old russian rust buckets.

Havana - go see the revolution/jose marti/che geuvera sites. Take a walk along the coast line in old havana (the malecon).

Nightlife - i went dancing at the casa de la musica.

The disparity is wide - theres hotels with live music and buffets or theres little street stalls selling plain pizzas.

Vinales is beautiful - you can hire bikes and go rouund the mountains. 1 night there would suffice.

Beaches are amazing - idyllic. Wish i'd spent more time relaxing!

Have a great time!

TJ

Archived