Little Ed now more popular than double-dip Dave

...according to the latest YouGov/ST poll:

More from the YouGov/Sunday Times poll

27 May 2012

The full tables for the YouGov/Sunday Times poll are now up here, covering mainly the Beecroft recommendations and the monarchy.

On the regular leader approval ratings David Cameron is on minus 26 (up from minus 30 last week), Ed Miliband is on minus 23 (from minus 27 last week) and Nick Clegg is on minus 55 (from minus 56) – so Miliband remains above Cameron for a third week.

Other questions also show perceptions of Cameron falling slightly. His biggest weakness remains being seen as out of touch. Only 20% see him as in touch (down 3 since April), compared to 69% who see him as out of touch. The percentage seeing him as strong is down 2 points to 39%, the percentage seeing him as likeable is down 3 points to 39%. The coverage of him “chillaxing” however doesn’t seem to have had much purchase – only 33% say that he doesn’t work hard enough, compared to 39% who think he gets the balance right and 4% who think he works too hard.

Turning to business, there is a perception that Britain is less competitive than countries like Germany (70% see us as less competitive) and the USA (55% see us as less competitive), but people are evenly split on whether or not the government should be cutting regulations more. 33% think the government are cutting regulations too much, 34% think they should be cutting them more, 11% think the current balance is about right.

Asked about specific employment regulations around about a fifth of people support extending employment rights, with the rest split between supporting reductions or supporting the status quo. On maternity and paternity rights, 20% think they should be extended, 30% think they should be cut, 42% that the present balance is right. On dismissals, 17% think it should be harder for companies to sack workers, 39% think it should be easier, 33% think the current balance is about right. On anti-discrimination legislation, 15% think it does not go far enough, 36% that it goes too far and 36% that the present balance is about right.

On the politics of the issue, 25% of people think Vince Cable is too hostile to business, 25% that he gets the balance right and 14% think he is too pro-business. 36% of people, however, say they don’t know and the public’s perception is very much that the Conservatives, not Vince Cable, have the power when it comes to employment and business regulation. 59% of people think the Conservatives have more influence over business and regulation policy compared to only 9% who think the Liberal Democrats do.

I expect we will have an awful lot more polling on attitudes to the royal family and the monarch over the next week but to kick off there were some questions here on the jubilee and the monarchy. 56% of people now see the Queen as one of our greatest monarchs (up from 50% when YouGov asked the same question in February). 60% now think that the level of celebrations for the Jubilee are about right. 20% expect to attend a party, 52% expect to watch the royal flotilla.

Asked about Charles, 37% think he will make a good king, 37% do not – 44% think that Prince William should be the next King instead of Charles. William is also seen as the royal who has done most to improve their reputation since the death of Princess Diana.

The article states that Milliband has now had better ratings than Cameron for the last three weeks. I am not too convinced about young Ed myself but more recently he does give the impression that he is perhaps growing into the job finally and that the wind is behind him. What do others think?

Looks, sounds and acts like a Wallace and grommitt character. Shafted his older brother to get in. Yet another over-privileged fart. Less charisma than a brick. Brings absolutely nothing to politics.

And still preferable to Cameron. In every way :)

I don't think anyone could do as badly as the present lot.

It shouldn't be a case of replacing nasty fools with nicer fools, but unfortunately there is no alternative.

Red Ed's a reasonable ventriloquist's dummy but everyone knows it's Bob Crow pulling his strings.

As neither Bob Crow nor his union are in the Labour Party I'd like to see you substantiate that argument.

The OP doesn't actually say that Miliband is more popular than Cameron but that Cameron is even more unpopular than Miliband. That says a lot about British politicians. I still think the next election is the Tories' to lose but I'm sure they're incompetent and corrupt enough to make people forget about the Brown days.

Archived