England Vs Sweden Friday 15th June

kirkyb

It turns out that the people at UEFA have gone and put Englands first match of Euro 2012 on my birthday. For most people they would see this as blessing I couldn't care either way. The problem I have is that most of the people who are coming out for my birthday will be wanting to watch the football. This means that I am going to have to rethink my plans. I am looking for somewhere that a group of us can watch the football and we can book a table/area, that serves real ale, good bottled beers and possibly food. Does anybody know of such a place? I know that some of you on here will work in pubs/bars and I would appreciate your input. I watched the World cup in The Wick at Both Ends but i'm not sure there would be an area big enough.

It turns out that the people at UEFA have gone and put Englands first match of Euro 2012 on my birthday. For most people they would see this as blessing I couldn't care either way. The problem I have is that most of the people who are coming out for my birthday will be wanting to watch the football. This means that I am going to have to rethink my plans. I am looking for somewhere that a group of us can watch the football and we can book a table/area, that serves real ale, good bottled beers and possibly food. Does anybody know of such a place? I know that some of you on here will work in pubs/bars and I would appreciate your input. I watched the World cup in The Wick at Both Ends but i'm not sure there would be an area big enough.

Only a suggestion friend, what about the Old Monk near Crucible, is it still open, not being funny or sarcastic trying to help :)

You can book a table and order food at The Common Room.

Only a suggestion friend, what about the Old Monk near Crucible, is it still open, not being funny or sarcastic trying to help :)

for someone obviously not too bothered about the match, but needs to be somewhere thats showing it, I can hardly think of a worse pub! You know full well that the monk is a massive sporting pub which will be jam packed with drunken fans come match day!

Why don't you watch it at home with your mates then head out for your birthday celebration afterwards?

for someone obviously not too bothered about the match, but needs to be somewhere thats showing it, I can hardly think of a worse pub! You know full well that the monk is a massive sporting pub which will be jam packed with drunken fans come match day!

Why don't you watch it at home with your mates then head out for your birthday celebration afterwards?

As will MOST pubs be in the city centre, they asked for advice I offered some, I don't even drink in town its a rat hole (I don't drink now anyhow). The Monk is the only one I know that is big, as I walk past it going to work & I have been in once for a colleagues leaving do.

They were asking advice on pubs, not the CAMRA real ale guide, but once again we get a pedant, they don't have to act on advice that's what it is, you weigh it up & act on it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had thought about The Common Room but to be honest it's something like £30 to hire a booth. You do get a 4 pint pitcher of becks and a sharing platter but I would wash my privates in becks and when there are going to be 15+ of us the number of booths needed is going to start to rack up. Henry's have said they are doing the match and I can book some seats there will be a TV inside and outisde. I've emailed the Wick as watched the World Cup there but no reply as of yet. I just don't think the types of pubs/bars I like do TVs and football which is a shame but I can see why. I may just stick to the original plans and let those who want to watch football meet us later.

Archived