Travelling to florida with convictions

I've always been told that if you couldn't pass even a basic CRB check, if you go to anywhere in North America they'll tell you to go away and don't bother coming back!

Working down the pit isn't illegal.:suspect:

He said Minor Phil, not Miner... :lol:

A minor is someone under 18... But it's a moot point anyway, if you have ANY convictions, US immigration won't let you in, even if all it is is a parking ticket.

does everyone have to apply for one?

Anyone that doesn't have another visa that allows them to travel to the US and comes from a country that is eligible for the visa waiver programme needs to have an ESTA (so if you have a UK passport and want to go the US on holiday you need to have an ESTA)

Its easy to do online using the link I sent, normally takes about 10 minutes to complete and costs about 10 quid I think.

He said Minor Phil, not Miner... :lol:

A minor is someone under 18... But it's a moot point anyway, if you have ANY convictions, US immigration won't let you in, even if all it is is a parking ticket.

Rich that's rubbish. For one parking offence isn't a criminal conviction. Declare any convictions you have if asked and you'll stand the best chance of getting permission to travel.

When we went to Florida the visa was filled out on the plane and tbh i dont recall that question on the form.However they do take you pic and fingerprints on arrival and a fingerprint check is commonplace in the major parks before you enter..

When we went to Florida the visa was filled out on the plane and tbh i dont recall that question on the form.However they do take you pic and fingerprints on arrival and a fingerprint check is commonplace in the major parks before you enter..

I think the ESTA programme has been in place for about two years now and its replaced the old Visa Waiver forms you used to fill out. However you still have to complete the customs declaration forms.

If you turn up to your flight without a visa or ESTA you won't be allowed to fly.

Rich that's rubbish. For one parking offence isn't a criminal conviction. Declare any convictions you have if asked and you'll stand the best chance of getting permission to travel.

I knew that he was talking rubbish, so simply chose to ignore him.:(

Any conviction for a drugs related offence will probably result in your friend being refused a VISA to enter the USA even for a holiday.

The best thing to do would be to contact the Embassy and be honest. The worst they'll do is say no.

http://london.usembassy.gov/

EDIT: As Buck below says it may also depend on the whether it would be considered a felony or a misdemeanour (sp).

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help.

I am trying to find out if someone with a criminal conviction can still travel to florida for a family holiday.

I do believe that you have to apply for a visa.

What we dont want to happen is for the person to book their holiday and travel over there and get refused and waste thousands of pounds.

So we would like to know what you have to do? If you can apply for a visa before booking a holiday? The holiday would be in 2014 so can you do it that far in advance?

Also who do we email/contact if we need do.

Thanks

It would all depend on whether it was judged a misdemeanor or a felony by US standards. Misdemeanors are usually minor offences such as would be handled by a magistrate. Felonies are serious crimes involving jail time. I'm fairly sure a visa would be denied for one of them, even if time served. But I'm sure the US Embassy in London would advise you before making travel plans or even a travel agency like Thomas Cooks.

Archived