Travelling to florida with convictions

How long have you lived over there? The US version of Yorkshire Puddings are called Popovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popover

I've only been here 43 years which just goes to show how much I like American Yorkshire pudding. Still, thank you for the education. They might revoke my citizenship for this major slip.What would we do without Wikipedia and its gang of pedants ever present to show us the error of our ways.

That is utter garbage. Learn a bit about the US before spouting off in your usual rant:rant:

oh god. That guy is just so thick, it's tragic. I'm sorry for him.

basically anybody who has been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison should sweat, about getting into the United States, especially somebody who was convicted of drugs offences. That could come up on the radar. But even then, you might be able to talk your way out of it on entry.

last time I went I changed my passport for a new one, even though it had three years left to run.

it was full of stamps to Middle Eastern countries and I just knew, post 9/11, I'd get a whole lot of unnecessary grief at Logan, from the passport control security guy.

oh god. That guy is just so thick, it's tragic. I'm sorry for him.

basically anybody who has been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison should sweat, about getting into the United States, especially somebody who was convicted of drugs offences. That could come up on the radar. But even then, you might be able to talk your way out of it on entry.

last time I went I changed my passport for a new one, even though it had three years left to run.

it was full of stamps to Middle Eastern countries and I just knew, post 9/11, I'd get a whole lot of unnecessary grief at Logan, from the passport control security guy.

From my humble home, I can select either Logan or JFK to go over. They are almost the same distance. Boston is a little easier to get to since they opened the Ted Williams Tunnel, but the security situation is abominablle. JFK seems to be more laid back, which is surprising considering the attacks made on the city in the past.Of course no Newyorker would ever admit to being scared , not like those poncy Bostonians.:)

You say you have been over to the us 5 times without a problem are you saying you have convictions and not declared them or something els?

Convictions for minor offences which were commited well over 20 yrs before my first visit in 86 were declared but they were not considered serious enough to deny me entry.

I've only been here 43 years which just goes to show how much I like American Yorkshire pudding. Still, thank you for the education. They might revoke my citizenship for this major slip.What would we do without Wikipedia and its gang of pedants ever present to show us the error of our ways.

Don’t worry Buck, in all the years I have been travelling to North America, both on business and pleasure I have only been offered popovers once and that was 30 years ago at an inn in Vermont. I was so surprised that they offered me a free starter and it turned out to be their version of Yorkshire pudding that the name stayed with me ever since.

In those days you had to apply for a visa and I had a multiple entry one in my passport and I never had any problems unlike my boss. My boss was an eminent space scientist and on the way back from a visit to the Antarctic he needed to visit a colleague in the West Indies and the route took him via Miami with a connection on to Jamaica. Unfortunately the connecting flight was cancelled and he needed to stay one night in the US before a fight the next day. Immigration must have looked him up in their big book refused him entry and insisted he be deported to where he came from in South America because he was once a communist sympathiser. If my memory serves me correctly he was placed under hotel arrest and deported on the plane to Jamaica the next day with an American officer in the seat next to him who handed him his passport when they arrived in Jamaica. A few years later the American space industry need his help and he had to tell them he was not welcome in the USA, I believe they then offered him a visa.

A friend of mine has just gone to live in the states. He'd been arrested and charged with assault when he was 15 (he's now in his 40's). He started going to the usa on holiday every year about 15 years ago. Over here, a conviction is spent after 5 years so he never declared it. When he was sorting out his paperwork to move over there, he found out that ANY conviction at ANY point of time counted. They state 'moral torptitude' when referring to convictions and when you look into what that means, it basically covers anything that they deam wrong!!!

Long shot is, he panicked for a while but eventually was given permission to live over there with his wife (who is american).

Archived