Wheeliebins - blowing in the wind

Actually this is a subject that really pushes my buttons.

Firstly I think householders should position their bins handles outwards (making it easy for bin men to get hold of) and as far as possible away from the kerb.

Secondly I think the bin men should return them to this position.

Why you may ask does this wind me up so much.

Well next it's your bin day look people have postioned their bins and look again when the bin men have been. Now imagine you are blind/partially sighted or confined to a wheel chair or pushing a pram and you wanted to travel along the pavement. It's bad enough if you are sighted and able bodied traversing this wheelie bin obstacle course.

Sorry, but it's really thoughtless and it really get on my ****. And it's not just the fault of the bin men.

Rant over.

Nomme

It wouldnt be so bad if they had straps on so two empty bins could be linked together, making a more stable object and thus reducing likelihood of bins blowing around. Would look neater too.

The neighbours could take turns in putting the bins back in each others driveways, and thus get to know one another. Better chance of knowing thy neighbour.

Can I have a quick moan about the bin men?

Ours are here so early! This week it was about 0545, sometimes it's earlier. The bin lorry, bins being wheeled about, and the guys shouting all mean I'm wide awake before 6AM.

I'm sure an early start means a nice early finish for the lads, but I think well before 6 is pushing it a bit.

Must say though, on the plus side, they don't seem to mind the bins being a bit overfilled or the odd crafty bin liner of rubbish placed next to it.

Moan over, just like my sleep :)

"How many times must a bin blo-ow away,

Before it be-heads a man,

Yes 'n how times must I while away the day,

As I watch the guys load up the van.

Then the wheelie bin my friend

Just blows in the wind

The wheelie bin jus' blows in the wind."

B Dylan 2004

Ours won't even come if there's cars parked on both sides of the cul-de-sac.....

Nor will they take anything that isn't actually IN the bins, like the bin bags at the side of the bins.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Yes, they should. I agree.

They are really hampered, though. On our road with all the double parking, the traffic builds up and they are under pressure to move on quickly.

I can sorta understand when they're on a road where people can't pass the lorry, but it is every road in Sheffield, and the same for the blue bins. never seen size of truck they use for them.

what would happen if we all started leaving the bins out not in a row.

Originally posted by nomme

Actually this is a subject that really pushes my buttons.

Firstly I think householders should position their bins handles outwards (making it easy for bin men to get hold of) and as far as possible away from the kerb.

Secondly I think the bin men should return them to this position.

Why you may ask does this wind me up so much.

Well next it's your bin day look people have postioned their bins and look again when the bin men have been. Now imagine you are blind/partially sighted or confined to a wheel chair or pushing a pram and you wanted to travel along the pavement. It's bad enough if you are sighted and able bodied traversing this wheelie bin obstacle course.

Sorry, but it's really thoughtless and it really get on my ****. And it's not just the fault of the bin men.

Rant over.

Nomme

One thing that annoys me the most is, my mum is unable to get the bin to the berb and back, so she has this done by the binmen as arraged by the council.

The problem lies when the normal lads don't come and the message doersn't seem to get to the replacement team so her bin doesn't get emptied, even if she goes out to tell them they won't do it. She has to phone the council for a van to come to empty the bin

Originally posted by Sheffield20

Can I have a quick moan about the bin men?

Ours are here so early! This week it was about 0545, sometimes it's earlier.

The following website :

http://www.onyxsheffield.co.uk/ywaste_collection_bin1.asp

states that bins are collected from 7am - maybe you should complain ?

There is also info on that page about how to get them to collect and return your bin if you cant do it yerself.

The page also states that "Householders are responsible for the security of their wheeled bin." - gonna get CCTV and an alarm installed and phone up Norwich Union and get them to quote me happy :P

Archived