Wind up Mantle Clock not working

I've just been given a clock which has sentimental value, I'm sure its not worth much in monetary terms. Its a Enfield Mantle Clock I'd say from the 1930s.

The problem is it doesn't work. I have the key, there are 3 holes in the clock front which the key fits, one to the left one to the right (they're both I guess are wound up as much as possible, as there's very little movement when I turn the key in them) and one at the bottom under number 6 (this one will turn with the key, but makes a clunk noise after so many turns).

The hands aren't moving and the pendelum at the back isn't swinging either. I'd like to get it back working as it was my Grandad's, so any advice/tips (in layman's terms please, I'm a pleb with this type of thing).

If not, any suggestions on where to take it and any ideas on cost? Like I said its sentimental value not monetary.

Cheers

Thanks Barley, I had seen that before, as I know some of the 'smart ones' on here are quick with the Google is your friend, blah blah.

If I physically push the hands round the chimes seem to work and there's a silent option too. The holes are in same position as in the pic in the link you sent me, and the pendulum looks exactly the same but mine seems to have a brass plate in front of all the workings so I can't see them.

Cheers

I regret that it that's the case then you have a broken mainspring - that's the clunk you hear as you wind over the one that doesnt tighten.

Typically you can shorten the spring and it'll still work just need winding a little more often. Sadly I cannot recommend anywhere in Sheffield - I would suggest Harrisons in Bolsover as the nearest place I'd entrust a clock to and he's reasonable on price too.

Spring is bust...There is a place at ellsicar heritage centre called bygone times or something. He could mend it for you, not expensive but does take a while as he is busy..

Crikey banjo, his clocks are a bit pricey. I collect clocks and his prices are way out of my league!

Hahaha...failing that you could replace the mechanism completely. It does sound like a broken mainspring. Which is actually quite difficult to do (to break that is). There is of course a possibility that the mainspring isn't actually broken, merely come away from it's anchor point, one end or the other.

Incidentally, the 3 holes for winding are : The one at 6 is usually the clock mechanism, the other 2 one is for the chimes (yours will be a full westminster chime) and the other for the hour and quarter and half and three quarter hour strikes.

I do have an old clock where the case is completely knackered, but the mechanisn inside is fine. It's a full westminster chime too. We could come to an arrangement with that if you like! PM me

True, his clocks are expensive , but he only charged my mum 50.00 to repair her old clock, she was happy with that..my old clock repair man used to charge me a fiver to overhaul my clocks...but sadly he has passed away now..its a dying trade now..pardon the pun...

Crikey banjo, his clocks are a bit pricey. I collect clocks and his prices are way out of my league!

Hahaha...failing that you could replace the mechanism completely. It does sound like a broken mainspring. Which is actually quite difficult to do (to break that is). There is of course a possibility that the mainspring isn't actually broken, merely come away from it's anchor point, one end or the other.

Incidentally, the 3 holes for winding are : The one at 6 is usually the clock mechanism, the other 2 one is for the chimes (yours will be a full westminster chime) and the other for the hour and quarter and half and three quarter hour strikes.

I do have an old clock where the case is completely knackered, but the mechanisn inside is fine. It's a full westminster chime too. We could come to an arrangement with that if you like! PM me

Archived