Scam alert - Friends Provident

Just a bit of a heads up for anyone who ever owned any Friends Provident shares.

FP demutualised several years ago and a lot of policy holders got a miniscule amount of shares which were then all bought back when Resolution bought FP out. FP and its subsiduaries sold lots of policies and so a fair number of people will have got shares.

Someone seems to have got hold of a Friends Provident shareholder list and is calling people up with some sort of offer to buy your shares which sounds a pretty good offer since they don't exist any more.

I'm presuming that there is some sort of scam involved here either that or the "buyer" is incredibly stupid. I'm a bit pressed for time else I would have explored this a bit further.

So, I just thought I'd warn people in case they or a vulnerable loved one gets a call and falls for it.

I would be intrigued to know just what the scam was though.....

Just a bit of a heads up for anyone who ever owned any Friends Provident shares.

FP demutualised several years ago and a lot of policy holders got a miniscule amount of shares which were then all bought back when Resolution bought FP out. FP and its subsiduaries sold lots of policies and so a fair number of people will have got shares.

Someone seems to have got hold of a Friends Provident shareholder list and is calling people up with some sort of offer to buy your shares which sounds a pretty good offer since they don't exist any more.

I'm presuming that there is some sort of scam involved here either that or the "buyer" is incredibly stupid. I'm a bit pressed for time else I would have explored this a bit further.

So, I just thought I'd warn people in case they or a vulnerable loved one gets a call and falls for it.

I would be intrigued to know just what the scam was though.....

They are after bank details . Probably say they want to pay money into your a/c :hihi::hihi:

• 6 months later...

I had some shares and due to moving etc was unaware of friends provident demutualising until around a year ago when I found out by accident, there was a number I found online about claiming the the money back, which I did.

There is a list of people who have failed to make a claim for the value of the shares,no doubt somebody has bought this list and are tracing people and trying it on acting on there behalf for a commission

I had some shares and due to moving etc was unaware of friends provident demutualising until around a year ago when I found out by accident, there was a number I found online about claiming the the money back, which I did.

There is a list of people who have failed to make a claim for the value of the shares,no doubt somebody has bought this list and are tracing people and trying it on acting on there behalf for a commission

i got the demutualisation shares, so i'm guessing they have got hold of an old shareholder list.

i didn't have the time, or the inclination, to explore further but i'm sure at some point bank details, identity documents or some sort of fee payable in advance would have been involved

They will be after bank details. Probably say they want to pay money in to a/c

All they need is acc. no and sort code to do that...you used to give this out everytime you wrote a cheque..not sure how that bit of info can be used to extract money from you..

Archived