Our taxes are to be used to kill buzzards.

On a related matter it is estimated that there could only be a single nesting pair of Hen Harriers in England this year.

"Radio-tracked hen harriers have been flying into mysterious black holes in the north of England, disappearing in areas principally managed for shooting, according to a Natural England report."

Story here

Some people won't be satisfied until birds of prey have been wiped out entirely so they can blast away at game birds to their hearts content.

Instead of talking about pandering to these criminals they should be locking them up.

On a related matter it is estimated that there could only be a single nesting pair of Hen Harriers in England this year.

"Radio-tracked hen harriers have been flying into mysterious black holes in the north of England, disappearing in areas principally managed for shooting, according to a Natural England report."

Story here

Some people won't be satisfied until birds of prey have been wiped out entirely so they can blast away at game birds to their hearts content.

Instead of talking about pandering to these criminals they should be locking them up.

I agree, I can't believe that minister (or whatever he is) had the bare faced cheek to suggest the idea-I mean how utterly beyond stupid can you be:loopy:

He should lose his job for being an incompetent idiot!

I seriously don't understand why they are allowed to breed them, the number of accidents they must cause when they run out into the road and all so some twomp can satisfy his evil urge to shoot a living creature.

I seriously don't understand why they are allowed to breed them, the number of accidents they must cause when they run out into the road and all so some twomp can satisfy his evil urge to shoot a living creature.

That's a valid point, though the reason for breeding is an obvious one but the fact that a farmed animal is allowed to then wander freely is a pertinent question. Doubtless they do startle drivers and cyclists alike so how is it so accepted.

Given that the squirrel is a non indigenous species running rife across the country and so classed as vermin, how can a similarly non indigenous species be allowed to do likewise and be captive bred?

Both fall victim to birds of prey yet only one seems on the brink of being protected.

Read this last night, and instantly thought of this.

- May 5, 1944

Under the heading ‘We Are Destroying Birds that Save Us’, the News Chronicle notes that ‘beneficial birds suffer from human ignorance. There is senseless persecution of the kestrel and barn owl. No two species of birds do better work for us.’

Unfortunately it isn't even from ignorance. Most of the birds of prey are killed off for the sake of that enemy of England, the pheasant. Unlike the partridge, the pheasant does not thrive in England, and apart from the neglected woodlands and the vicious game laws that it has been responsible for, all birds or animals that are suspected of eating its eggs or chicks are systematically wiped out. Before the war, near my village in Hertfordshire, I used to pass a stretch of fence where the gamekeeper kept his ‘larder’. Dangling from the wires were the corpses of stoats, weasels, rats, hedgehogs, jays, owls, kestrels and sparrow-hawks. Except for the rats and perhaps the jays, all of these creatures are beneficial to agriculture. The stoats keep down the rabbits, the weasels eat mice, and so do the kestrels and sparrow-hawks, while the owls eat rats as well. It has been calculated that a barn owl destroys between 1,000 and 2,000 rats and mice in a year. Yet it has to be killed off for the sake of this useless bird which Rudyard Kipling correctly described as ‘lord of many a shire’.

Very little changes.

Read this last night, and instantly thought of this.

- May 5, 1944

Under the heading ‘We Are Destroying Birds that Save Us’, the News Chronicle notes that ‘beneficial birds suffer from human ignorance. There is senseless persecution of the kestrel and barn owl. No two species of birds do better work for us.’

Unfortunately it isn't even from ignorance. Most of the birds of prey are killed off for the sake of that enemy of England, the pheasant. Unlike the partridge, the pheasant does not thrive in England, and apart from the neglected woodlands and the vicious game laws that it has been responsible for, all birds or animals that are suspected of eating its eggs or chicks are systematically wiped out. Before the war, near my village in Hertfordshire, I used to pass a stretch of fence where the gamekeeper kept his ‘larder’. Dangling from the wires were the corpses of stoats, weasels, rats, hedgehogs, jays, owls, kestrels and sparrow-hawks. Except for the rats and perhaps the jays, all of these creatures are beneficial to agriculture. The stoats keep down the rabbits, the weasels eat mice, and so do the kestrels and sparrow-hawks, while the owls eat rats as well. It has been calculated that a barn owl destroys between 1,000 and 2,000 rats and mice in a year. Yet it has to be killed off for the sake of this useless bird which Rudyard Kipling correctly described as ‘lord of many a shire’.

Very little changes.

The pheasant has somehow managed to go through life unnoticed yet attract an unprecedented amount of protection. We can only hope that at some point in the future the farming industry falsely links it with a dibilitating disease that affects their bloody cows and a witch hunt ensues.

The pheasant has somehow managed to go through life unnoticed yet attract an unprecedented amount of protection. We can only hope that at some point in the future the farming industry falsely links it with a dibilitating disease that affects their bloody cows and a witch hunt ensues.

Unnoticed?

The rich shoot them regularly, they are bred for that purpose, on land that was stolen form the common man.

They are bred to be killed for fun. At the expense of the common man, who is denied access to land.

Archived