Doctors vote to take industrial action

And that, folks, is exactly what is wrong with the NHS. You are now considered lucky to survive a trip to hospital. That is a measure of just how bad things are. 25,000 people a year die from blood clots that they didn't have when they went into hospital. It is mostly preventable but many hospitals don't try very hard. Then there are all the bugs you can catch before they start starving you. Hospitals have become very dangerous places to be ill. And yet there are people out there who will defend the NHS to their last breath. Which could be sooner than they think should they fall ill.

The NHS isn't perfect but I do think you're exaggerating about the state of it; you're attitude ought to be to improve the NHS rather than do away with it all together.

As far as I am aware from what I have read Barnsley Hospital are postponing 8 operations and 20% of out patient appointments and at Chesterfield it is just affecting outpatient appointments.

As far as I am aware just a handful of local surgeries have GPs taking industrial action.

Feel free to get in touch if anyone has been affected though.

"That is a measure of just how bad things are. 25,000 people a year die from blood clots that they didn't have when they went into hospital. It is mostly preventable but many hospitals don't try very hard"

Really? so every inpatient recieving prophylactic medication to help prevent blood clots (where the benefit outweighs the risk) isnt trying very hard? Along with compression methods too of course. Would like to see you do better.

If doctors are so brilliant why is the NHS negligence bill £15bn and rising by £1.5bn a year?
Because where there is a blame, there is now a knee-jerk claim for vastly disproportional damages and reparations, handled by the very same ambulance chasers who first targeted who caused the medical condition in the first place.

With ever less in the way of due diligence before issuing the claim, and ever less risk for the 'chancing' claimant if the case doesn't go their way. That's if there is a case and the matter has not simply been cheque'd away for convenience or though managerial incompetence.

Nothing to do with doctors being briliant or not (or, more accurately, more or less brilliant than they ever were on average, allowing for co-temporary advances in medicinal knowledge, practice and tuition).

You want to cure a goodly portion of the NHS deficit? Start by banning the legal profession from entering into 'no-win no-fee' CFAs. It's not that hard (but will require ungodly amounts of political capital). And it will have a huge influence on other "cost escalators", e.g. insurance premiums and more.

Exactly, Doctors are likely to be some of the people who live longest. I believe average age for mere mortals is now 82 so retiring at 68 gives them 14 years to enjoy their huge pensions and let's not forget the £90k lump sum they also get. I suspect average life span for doctors is a lot more than 82. Does anyone know how much you have to put into a pot to get a £60k pension and a £90k lump sum?

Please provide evidence to support this statement .

Exactly, Doctors are likely to be some of the people who live longest. I believe average age for mere mortals is now 82 so retiring at 68 gives them 14 years to enjoy their huge pensions and let's not forget the £90k lump sum they also get. I suspect average life span for doctors is a lot more than 82. Does anyone know how much you have to put into a pot to get a £60k pension and a £90k lump sum?

I would say about a million,but thats fair given their contribution to society.Remember we have to recruit doctors internationally and they must have a decent sized package.

Doctors tend to die young given their penchant for alcohol and other vices.

Doctors are not happy with their £56,000pa tax free pension are they, well they can go *******. If I need a doctor when they are on strike I will be going to AE as they charge back to the practice (just over £100) for each visitm

1. Their pension is taxed

2.A&E do not charge the practice

3.Doctors are running surgeries as per normal

How many doctors will give toss about your trite threats and ill-informed remarks?

And that, folks, is exactly what is wrong with the NHS. You are now considered lucky to survive a trip to hospital. That is a measure of just how bad things are. 25,000 people a year die from blood clots that they didn't have when they went into hospital. It is mostly preventable but many hospitals don't try very hard. Then there are all the bugs you can catch before they start starving you. Hospitals have become very dangerous places to be ill. And yet there are people out there who will defend the NHS to their last breath. Which could be sooner than they think should they fall ill.

The hospitals are often dealing with clots-you seem to know a lot about clots for some reason.I am only familiar with one clot,but no doctor can sort him out.

I was listening to a debate about this on BBC 5 dead earlier on and there were people phoning in saying "other public sector workers have had to bite the bullet and take a lesser pension". Just because they didn't stand up for themselves and bent over for the government they think everyone else should, good on the doctors for standing up to this tyrannical government.

When are people going to learn that it doesn't matter what colour the government are NOTHING CHANGES.

Archived