The olympics, an opportunity missed?

other than the torch passing through on the 25th June does anyone know of anything else thats going in order to celebrate the olympics (other than the actual games)?

i first started out in nutrition thinking it would be a huge opportunity to promote health but it doesnt seem to be happening, just like with the 5 a day and the change for life campaigns the Government has missed their chance.

Tried speaking with a few of the MP's from Sheffield about it but they dont seem to be bothered.

It will end up being another over marketed event used by fast food companies to target people sat on their sofa for a few weeks, whereas it should have been about getting the nation healthier on the back of the biggest sporting event in the world.

reflection of the times? and am i in the wrong industry?!

other than the torch passing through on the 25th June does anyone know of anything else thats going in order to celebrate the olympics (other than the actual games)?

i first started out in nutrition thinking it would be a huge opportunity to promote health but it doesnt seem to be happening, just like with the 5 a day and the change for life campaigns the Government has missed their chance.

Tried speaking with a few of the MP's from Sheffield about it but they dont seem to be bothered.

It will end up being another over marketed event used by fast food companies to target people sat on their sofa for a few weeks, whereas it should have been about getting the nation healthier on the back of the biggest sporting event in the world.

reflection of the times? and am i in the wrong industry?!

The only thing I have noticed "The Games" promoting is huge profits, corporate hospitality back slapping and lobbying opportunities galore.

As an example of profiteering, this article in the Telegraph about rip off food and drink prices at the games (which have just been released) has the CEO of LOCOG practically admitting that they are ripping people off but justifying it because everyone gets ripped off at sporting events like this. The whole thing is awful, somebody wake me up on the 13th of August please.

Yeah it should be used to promote nutrition more.

Why isn't Usain Bolt endorsing...something healthy, some healthy food rather than Virgin Media?

Last time he said he prepared for the race by eating chicken nuggets.

Irresponsible.

smh.

Why isn't Usain Bolt endorsing...something healthy, some healthy food rather than Virgin Media?

Irresponsible.

smh.

If you run as much as Usain Bolt does then I would imagine he could eat any amount of high fat food and it wouldn't make a difference to his weight.

One of my friends used to be the British pedal car champion and he could eat huge amounts of food and stay skinny. His calorific usage is hardly representative of the population as a whole though, is it?

Irresponsible.

smh.

I doubt that the Happy Egg company for want of a better example has the buying power of Virgin Media. Just one big moneyfest

I doubt that the Happy Egg company for want of a better example has the buying power of Virgin Media. Just one big moneyfest

^^^That too.

Usain Bolt has no responsibility to anybody other than himself and however good he is, his running career won't last for many more years, so he has to earn what he can when he can earn it.

Given that, do you accept the sponsorship or stay noble and risk poverty when you're in your old age? Your answer needs to take into account that he comes from a country where the average income is very low and the state benefits that we have as a safety net here don't exist in most places.

Personally, I think tagging the games is extremely tacky. Secondly, it is extremely expensive to mention the games to promote your goods. Lastly, I don't want to drink cola, buy insurance from whoever etc just because they mention the games. In fact, I just ignore all forms of advertisements.

One of the original aims of the Olympics was to get '1 million people regularly playing sport'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/8944428/London-2012-Olympics-Sport-England-to-miss-legacy-target-as-Games-fail-to-inspire-youngsters.html

' figures released by Sport England show that just 111,000 more people have become involved in sport since 2007, just 11 per cent of the target they have been pursuing for the last four years.'

It is Londons games, when Manchester and Birmingham applied, neither received the support of the Westminster government.

This is for London, by London, with any benefit staying in London, let them get on with it.

the views expressed truly sadden me, i am so passionate about health & wellbeing yet what everyone is saying is so right, the government has sold out.

i rang paul blomfields (MP Central) office today to ask about this and got told to ring the PCT's instead, the woman i spoke to seemed quite offended that i would even want to question an MP's views on what the olympics will bring to sheffield aside from the torch passing through. she rattled on about it not being anything to do with them.

Archived